Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my TPMS lit up yesterday on the way home so I pulled out the compressor and tire pressure gauge when I got home. Low and behold after an inspection of the tire it seems I ran over a nail! Right now it appears to be a slow leak so I was going to get it patched. Any suggestions on a national chain where they do decent work? Or should I take it into the local Dodge dealer down the street?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I always use Discount Tire

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I'd just plug it myself instead of patching it. The only time I'd get a patch is on a fast car with speed rated tires. Other than that, a plug works just fine for me and I can do it myself without having to break down the tire/wheel.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Yup. I gotta agree with TR4Runner, buy the plug kit for 7.99 at autozone or some place and have at it!

·
Registered
452 Posts
....Any suggestions on a national chain where they do decent work? Or should I take it into the local Dodge dealer down the street?
Look at it this way:

1. National Chain busineses (Discount Tires, NTB, Sears): They carry the bulk services and products for tires. That's what drives their business as well. Response time is assured in a timely manner. Some waits can go from 15mins to nearly 2-3 hours, depending on the number of customers in the queue. Flat repairs are often resolved fairly quickly and efficiently.

2. Dealerships: Generally, you have to schedule an appointment 'day' via their service department. Next, they collectively work you into the schedule, however, based generally on when you arrived/checked in, and the severity of the work. I'm sure (re)mounting/(re)balancing tires sits pretty low in the severity ladder. I wouldn't expect your vehicle to receive 'express' actions. Expect wait times to go from anywhere around 2 hrs to probably even the later half of the day. Imagine how long it'll take to come back to them and have them do a balance/rotation service, or even do a flat repair. I hope you have a novel/book/magazine w/ you at all times.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you got a road hazzard warranty with the tires, they'll fix it for free. No guarantees on how long they'll make you wait, tho.

Just a thought.

:alf:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I keep a plug kit in my XK. Super easy to use, and I have already put one in one of my tires. (having the kit saved my butt!!!)

·
Registered
86 Posts
What side of town are you on? Lou's Tire Mart in Mentor does great work.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I keep a plug kit in my XK. Super easy to use, and I have already put one in one of my tires. (having the kit saved my butt!!!)
Me too. I have everything I need to repair a punctured tire in my vehicle. The plug kit, a small air compressor, and a leatherman tool that has a built-in set of pliers for removing the nail or whatever is stuck in my tire. It's quicker and easier to repair the tire on the spot, rather than put the spare tire on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts