Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some strut spacers that will give me about 1 1/2" lift in the front. I have not been successful at finding anything after searching the internet and reading forums. I have almost 2" difference between the front and rear. I wanted to keep a little rake to, since I do tow quite often.

I saw where Robby use to make some. Does anyone know if he is still making them.

Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone can give me.

Nick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That may be a good option for me. I didn't realize they made those for the Commander. I only have experience with the 4600 series. I have looked at the Bilstein's, and the catalogue didn't pull them up for the Commander. They are in the catalogue for the Grand Cherokee though. It will be a while before I do that though. I only have 17000 miles on it. Thanks again for the suggestion.

·
Registered
48 Posts
will the Blistien 5100s fit on a '07 commander (3.7L) that has just the stock suspension??? Id be really interested in this option as I only need about an inch to an inch and a half to level out my commander.

·
Registered
556 Posts
They'll work on any commander, they're all the same.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bilstien 5100s will do the job. Medium setting should provide approximately 1.5"
I'm going to ask some questions which seem elementary....
I just purchased my '06 Commander, and I'm following this thread because mine definitely sits lower in the front than the rear and I'd like to correct that.
I haven't been underneath it yet, so when I saw the suggestion of the Bilstein 5100, I assumed it was a strut. But it appears it is simply a shock?

Am I to understand then, that the simple addition of this shock will change the ride-height? (I'm no expert; I thought a shock wouldn't effect ride-height, only quality?)

IF I changed all 4, would I raise the rear as well? (I don't want to raise the rear)

If this is all it takes to level that front end, you've made me a very happy camper. :eek:rangehat:
Do you Recommend an alignment afterwards?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm going to ask some questions which seem elementary....
I just purchased my '06 Commander, and I'm following this thread because mine definitely sits lower in the front than the rear and I'd like to correct that.
I haven't been underneath it yet, so when I saw the suggestion of the Bilstein 5100, I assumed it was a strut. But it appears it is simply a shock?

Am I to understand then, that the simple addition of this shock will change the ride-height? (I'm no expert; I thought a shock wouldn't effect ride-height, only quality?)

IF I changed all 4, would I raise the rear as well? (I don't want to raise the rear)

If this is all it takes to level that front end, you've made me a very happy camper. :eek:rangehat:
Do you Recommend an alignment afterwards?
Not sure if my message is being disregarded because I missed some forum protocol? :bang:
Or is it a better question than I realized, and nobody knows for sure?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Sorry im not on this forum often.

The 5100 struts have an adjustable spring perch which adds preload to the coil spring to achieve lift. Yes you'll need an alignment.

For the rear you'll need springs or a spacer for lift... shocks wont do anything significant.

·
Registered
102 Posts

The 5100 struts have an adjustable spring perch which adds preload to the coil spring to achieve lift. Yes you'll need an alignment.

For the rear you'll need springs or a spacer for lift... shocks wont do anything significant.

Perfect!
Thank You!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey y'all:
can I post a follow-up question on this? All of the 5100 series Billsteins that I've been looking at say that they do not fit my vehicle.

Does anyone have a part number for the 5100's they used, both front and rear? That'd sure be helpful.

please? :facelick:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For whatever reason they are not listed in the catalog under the Commander. You have to look it up for the grand Cherokee. Here are the part numbers.
Front: 24-225793
Rear: 33-225807
Just so you know. The 5100's are on national backorder at this time. I have been waiting on a set for about a month. From what I am hearing, they are suppose to release some at the end of July.

Nick

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

True, with one exception.

Many are running Monroe Load Levelling shocks for f150's in the rear. These have an additional spring inside the shock body which is the load levelling part. This along with the longer shock can support the rear of the vehicle a bit and many noted a 1-1.5" lift. The lack of droop when towing or weighted down in the rear is a bonus as well.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Lol yeah I know, I was the one who spec'd out the f150 version that everyone is using.

I dont recommend them as a long term lift solution because they make a lot of noise after about a year of use. They're a good temporary lift/shock combo for the rear for someone who wants to save up for nicer shocks and longer springs (which is what I did)

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
Lol yeah I know, I was the one who spec'd out the f150 version that everyone is using.

I dont recommend them as a long term lift solution because they make a lot of noise after about a year of use. They're a good temporary lift/shock combo for the rear for someone who wants to save up for nicer shocks and longer springs (which is what I did)
So you are the one! They do a good job of maintaining ride height and smoothing the ride with some weight in the back. The verdict is out on the ride quality.

WP_20140615_001.jpg

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
So you are the one! They do a good job of maintaining ride height and smoothing the ride with some weight in the back. The verdict is out on the ride quality.

View attachment 11089
Ride quality questionable huh? I seriously considered them, but this is what I keep hearing, some people like the rear springs really stiff and appreciate this. I fear that it will be too stiff when not loaded.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I think I have finally come to the conclusion that I will go with bilsteins set @ 1.5" up front and stack some new spring isolators in the rear to bring it back up 1/2" or so. Should be closer to level and allow enough spacer for 255/70r18's from JK saharas or something similar.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ride quality questionable huh? I seriously considered them, but this is what I keep hearing, some people like the rear springs really stiff and appreciate this. I fear that it will be too stiff when not loaded.

I don't think they would be a good idea, regardless of ride quality, because spring rates should always be matched at all four corners. Adjusting the spring perches on the 5100s is one thing, because you aren't changing anything but suspension geometry in static setting, but load leveling shocks in the rear would really only be a good, safe option when you are towing. Adding spring rate to the rear via an additional internal spring means stiffening the rear springs relative to the front, which induces over-steer in emergency maneuvers. Some of this will be taken care of by the stability system, but I'm not one to rely on electronics for a vehicle's handling characteristics.

The effects may be small enough to not make a significant difference, but any additional over steer in a top-heavy (especially lifted) suv doesn't sound desirable to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts