Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a couple people ask about the front air deflector install. So here it is in layman's terms:
1. Open hood, place the deflector on as if installing
2. Take a thin pencile and mark the four holes underneath the hood.
3. Use a drill and the prescribed size bit that are in the instructions and drill away(remove the deflector first), don't be scared or you'll never get the holes drilled, but do make sure you don't go through the top of the hood. You will notice when you get through the first layer with no problem.
4. Apply your rust inhibitor that came with, to each hole. If you lost it like me, grease would work as well.
5. Pop in the four plastic anchors. Make sure they are all the way in and flush with the surface or they will come out when you go to screw.
6. Place the deflector back on and screw away. Tight.
Don't forget those sticky platic tabs that go on the hood under the knobs of the deflector.

If your hood doesn't shut now, and most won't. Take a ratchet and lossen up the two nuts on the lower hood latch and raise the latch all the way up(probably will be only about 1/4 inch)and tighten up. It should close now.

Hope this helps for those wanting to install themselves.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I got a few pics. Don't know if they are good ones to your taste, but the install was done good, I can tell you that. ;) I didn't take these for the deflector install so I'll have to take a straight on shot and one underneath for ya.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the Mopar Front Air Deflector. I'm sure it's the same as what you're looking for. Unless you're looking for a particular aftermarket bug shield, this is the Mopar Deflector, in chrome or the dark whatever color you call it:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello Guys,

I bought one of those chrome OEM shields but could not bring myself to drill any holes in my brand new jeep.

So I returned it and found these guys.

If you are interested in an alternative shield for your commander that does NOT require any drilling.

This is a good one.

I got the EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector from (autoanything.com) and I think it looks even better than the Jeep brand. It just does not have the jeep logo on the front.

It was super easy to install, I can't figure out why the jeep guys didn't make it like this one.

Sorry they won't let me post a link yet:mad:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I cant stand it when someone sells a product for a vehicle and doesnt have a picture of what they sell on its application. I would not buy from this place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
rooney2oons said:
I cant stand it when someone sells a product for a vehicle and doesnt have a picture of what they sell on its application. I would not buy from this place.

I understand...

Anyway this is what the EGR Aerowrap Bug Deflector from www.autoanything.com looks like on my commander.

Happy drilling with your OEM version.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
10 Posts
bravo2376, You know those 2 oval slots closest to your hood latch, well they made molded plastic nutserts that snap tightly into those.

Then you apply a thick, clear 3M tape that is folded over the top and bottom sides of the hood at the outer ends. Two nut clips press onto those, align and tighten.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Those pictures of the OEM deflector on are great. I also appreciate the other picture of the other one. I know I am going to go with the chrome OEM one because it looks great and I like chrome on a black car. Also, I am not afraid to drill any holes as that means it is secured better and wont come off in a harsh wind. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also made sure that I placed an old bed sheet across the engine bay when drilling to catch all the metal shavings. I didn't want them getting loose in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I bought the CHROME OEM one. Its on my Deep Red (2007 red color forgot the name already) Overland. Its a lot of BLING FACTOR but I like it a lot. Makes the vehicle look RICH to me, I also added the chrome gas cap cover. john

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Mopar install was easy. Sure does make a guy nervous drilling into the hood, though.

I put masking tape under the area I would be drilling, got the guard lined up (it sits more forward than I expected it to), marked the holes on the tape, then drilled. The rest went pretty smoothly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts