Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to try the auxillary power outlet that is on the front control panel (not the rear one) and to my surpise it had no power. The other power outlets are fine, no issues - but that one closest to the driver in the front has nothing. I've looked through the manual and the fuse box diagram (was that part of the manual meant to be a joke?) and got nothing. I checked all the fuses inside the passenger compartment AND in the engine comparment and they all look good. Any thoughts?

Also, I don't suppose anyone has come up with an actual fuse diagram that helps in figuring out which fuse is what? All the ones I've seen don't have a number diagram for the fuses and the boxes themselves don't have numbers either.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Was the key on? The left one (driver's side) is for a cigarette lighter, and is off with the key/engine off. The right one (pass. side) is hot all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I might have to try that. I cant remember whether it was or not.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was just out and tested the front aux power with the truck running - now I feel stupid. It works fine. Guess I don't have to go hunt down fuses. Thx.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good news, the fuse panel is a pain in the a$$ to get anything done with. I had to have a neighbor's kid tap the fuse for me. I couldn't fit under the dash to do it. Not enough arm room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok,
I'm having an accessory outlet problems up front ( have an inverter that I use when the vehicle is running) I plug in a laptop to the inverter because I use the laptop as a GPS. The only accessory outlet that works is the one in the rear on the drivers side. My inverter won't light at all in the front relays, with the vehicle running or off (I know the drivers side one is for "running" "acc/electric" on... Any help???

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine work fine with an inverter... sounds like maybe you might need to hunt down a fuse or two... sorry...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Jamesgrim,
A laptop draw a lot of power being that the electricity is converted from DC to AC and back to DC again through the laptop power supply, so a lot of energy is lost in that process. MOST power converters drawing the amount of current needed to run a laptop require more current than can be supplied via a cigarette lighter outlet. I had the same problem a few years ago and what was happening was that the converter was tripping off on low current because it sucked so much amperage out. A lot of power converters come with cables that you hook directly to your battery and route through the firewall. This is what will need to be done if you plan on powering anything that draws any kind of current.
Also - if your power converter is too large, it will draw too much current too quickly and cause the volts to decrease causing it to shut off - safety feature. Take a look at how many watts your computer power supply is, how much current is being drawn through your outlet, and the size of your converter and post them. I will figure out whether it should work.

·
Registered
164 Posts
To clarify:
Watts for comp can be found on the power supply
Current being drawn most likely can be calculated on the fuse size
Converter size is probably on the converter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
blinkgold311 said:
To clarify:
Watts for comp can be found on the power supply
Current being drawn most likely can be calculated on the fuse size
Converter size is probably on the converter.

as he saysd in his post above the one I quoted a laptop power supply with a power rating of 75w will not run from a 150w inverter unit plugged into the power outlet/ciggy lighter.

I have a sony laptop that a 300w inverter will just about run but I plug it into the cigarette lighter as thats a pure heating load so will have a good size fuse behind it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Also, I don't suppose anyone has come up with an actual fuse diagram that helps in figuring out which fuse is what? All the ones I've seen don't have a number diagram for the fuses and the boxes themselves don't have numbers either.
its easy...the top left is the 30a thats 1 then it goes to the right just like we read. fuse 18 and 23 are non-exsistant, why I dont know but they just are. the CB fuses are above the mini fuses.

01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25
controls the left plug. You are responding to a thread that is
over 2 years old BTW....

its easy...the top left is the 30a thats 1 then it goes to the right just like we read. fuse 18 and 23 are non-exsistant, why I dont know but they just are. the CB fuses are above the mini fuses.

01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10
11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25

·
Registered
100 Posts
You are responding to a thread that is
over 2 years old BTW....
and yet no one gave the poor guy a diagram for the fuse block lol so I did. I stumbled on it looking for a way to make those outlets have power and work till the door opened interupt circuit turns off the radio.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts