Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

I've got an '06 4.7 V8 (not the hemi) with Quadra-Drive II. A couple days ago, I noticed the front driver's inside boot is completely split open, all the grease slung all over the place underneath. It's my daily driver, so I've had to drive it a bit over the last couple days.(we live in East Tennessee so everything is super spread out, we average 50-60k miles a year for reference lol) Not sure how long the boot has been like that or when it happened though, could have been a few weeks or more. It's still driving fine, no clicking or knocking or anything when I make turns. Seems like I should just be able to replace the boot and be fine, but we're about to drive out to Denver next month, and I really don't want to take any unnecessary chances. I drive mostly on roads, very rarely off road, and when I do go off road it's still nothing crazy, as I recognize my inexperience as an offroad driver lol

My question is what axle should I get? I've been all over the forums and I can't seem to find a specific answer. What brand is the stock one that's in there now? Is there another brand that is just as good?

I've seen where on the mopar online sites you can find them for $280 +core, but that's not really feasible for me. Other ones I've seen are DSS, Carquest, API and SurTrac, I've seen Cardone but I've heard they tend to go out at 10k miles, and I've also seen Crown.

Basically just putting feelers out there to see what you guys' experience and opinions tell me before I order something online. Oh and also I can replace the axle myself, my father-in-law works on cars and he's replaced several axles in his time, just never one on a Jeep before.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,960 Posts
Sorry, didn't realize I was only supposed to post in new member section! Thanks!
You can post in any sub-forum you like;

Just refrain from posting the same issue multiple times, in multiple sub-forums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
jessej1997 I'd go to RockAuto.com and get a reman front axle. My Commander with a 2 inch spacer lift had a ball joint failure and this tore apart the front driver side axle. The mechanic initially replaced with a cheap Chinese axle which didn't have as much range of motion as the stock axle. It started spitting grease immediately on the test drive. I got rid of the Chinese axle and replaced with a new stock oem axle which has performed flawlessly for 1.5 years now. I feel confident that a reman axle would have worked fine as well, but the mechanic was giving me a hard time about doing the repair twice so that's the only reason I opted for a new axle. Go reman and skip the chinesium crap. Let us know how it goes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts