Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to not get confused.

Torque specs Front axle nut (half shaft nut).

I looked at post on this forum, and some people writing different torques.

Im looking for the torque specs of the Front axle nut (half shaft nut), not to confuse with the 5 lug nuts to put your wheel on.

I see posts coming by, with torques of 100 Ft. Lbs for this bolt. While mine manual tells me 185 Ft. Lbs for the big bolt (half shaft nut). And the

Wheel Lug Nuts 100 (+/-15) Ft. Lbs.

So tell me if im correct at 185 Ft. Lbs for the big bolt (half shaft nut)?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I usually just use 1/2 impact gun on it. Never had a problen

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My paperback 2007 FSM and my digital copy of the 2005 FSM both list 100 ft-lb for the axle nut in Section 3 - specifications - half shaft.

Where exactly are you seeing 185?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My paperback 2007 FSM and my digital copy of the 2005 FSM both list 100 ft-lb for the axle nut in Section 3 - specifications - half shaft.

Where exactly are you seeing 185?
I'm at my work right now, but I will tell you later in what section and on what page it is! I don't have the manual with me ?. But honestly a nut of 36 mm on a torque of 100 ft-Lbs must be a joke! For small lug nuts I can see it! But for a treath and bold that big, it's just not possible. All the cars I tourqed on, are at least between 165 and 195 ft-lbs for a axle nut.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
From the service manual
SPECIFICATIONS
HALF SHAFT
TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS DESCRIPTION
Half Shaft Hub/Bearing Nut
N·m Ft. Lbs. In. Lbs.

135 --- 100 ---

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeep Commander XK 2006-2010 Service Manual Page 5349 section 13 - 2

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/58723210/13-2.pdf

Halfshaft nuts 185 Ft. Lbs. 251 N.m

Matt :Maybe you have a outdated manual or a fob?? I didn't knew they had jeep commanders in 2005 as you say in your digital manual from 2005???

But anyway, I put a updated copy of the Torque page from my service manual 2006-2010 for you.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
My digital copy is the 2005 WK- same as the XK.

But my 2007 is a hard copy. What does the torque value say in Section 3 in your manual? I'll check my hard copy

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Definitely a discrepancy in the FSM. Good find!

I'll be sending an inquiry to Jeep. While I agree the 185 seems right, 100 isn't unheard of. There's a few GM SUV's that use that value and the KK's use 100 ft-lb as well.

I just torqued mine Sunday after replacing my LCA so I'm looking forward to Jeeps response.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My digital copy is the 2005 WK- same as the XK.

But my 2007 is a hard copy. What does the torque value say in Section 3 in your manual? I'll check my hard copy
Like I say The torque value in section 3 (says 185 Ft. lbs).
it is really impossible 100 Ft. lbs.

On a 36 socket for that nut, they put a 3/4 hole, you really think they did that to make 100 Ft. lbs of torque?? Why do you think people use extended pipes to torque that bolt?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely a discrepancy in the FSM. Good find!

I'll be sending an inquiry to Jeep. While I agree the 185 seems right, 100 isn't unheard of. There's a few GM SUV's that use that value and the KK's use 100 ft-lb as well.

I just torqued mine Sunday after replacing my LCA so I'm looking forward to Jeeps response.

If you really think about it! you knew I was right. :D

Anyhow, problem solved :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
How's it solved? It could be either one.

I sent an inquiry in to Jeep tech support to get an answer. If its supposed to be 100, i sure wouldn't want to go up to 185.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How's it solved? It could be either one.

I sent an inquiry in to Jeep tech support to get an answer. If its supposed to be 100, i sure wouldn't want to go up to 185.
If you want to rumble your bearings out fast go with the 100 Ft. Lbs.
Torque specs for Nuts 36 are general between 165 Ft. Lbs and 190 Ft. Lbs. (This is according the DIN Norm). But call them, maybe they want to admit they made a fault in there manual of 2005.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Yeah and at work we have similar sized nuts that get torqued to 390 ft-lb.

Again, all depends on the clamp force required. In this case, it depends on the bearing race design. There are vehicles out there that see 100 ft-lb axle nut torques.

I'd rather not "guess" and just get an accurate answer from the source.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah and at work we have similar sized nuts that get torqued to 390 ft-lb.

Again, all depends on the clamp force required. In this case, it depends on the bearing race design. There are vehicles out there that see 100 ft-lb axle nut torques.

I'd rather not "guess" and just get an accurate answer from the source.
Than your work doesn't work. because nuts M36 can max torque to 300 N.M.

Ofcourse there are vehicles out there with 100 ft. lb. But than you talking about the fiat 500's 1975 who has a axle of 20 mm.:D

But call them. Maybe they can convince you.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Not all nuts are created equal :icon_lol:

Regardless, thanks for noting a discrepancy in the FSM. I'm interested to find out the proper spec for these bearings. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Who actually uses a torque wrench anymore?? Bwhahaha

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well, I'm just curious on what it should be. I looked at the super lift installation and they call out 100 fl lbs. I even called super lift and that's what they said. I also called my local jeep dealer and they also said 100 ft lbs. so lets see what jeep says.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who actually uses a torque wrench anymore?? Bwhahaha
How come it doesn't surprise me with you!
Of course you would use a impact wrench on a bearing axle!

First of all, a impact wrench is designed to loosen. Second of all, you never capable of torque something with a impact wrench to 185 Ft. Lbs.

Aren't you the same guy who could do a axle seal replacement in 45 min.:thumbsup:.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts