Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped off my Commander at the shop that will be building my front bumper this morning. I will post pictures as the bumper progresses, here is the starting point...

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Can't wait to see how it comes out!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy who is building it is www.hunteroffroad.com his name is John.I want your opinions there are two ways of building this, nothing is set in stone. Should I go tubular style, flat steel style, or mix? This bumper will have a winch mounted, any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Regarding round stock vs. flat steel -- my opinion is that the angular flat surfaces of the Commander require a bumper with flat angular designs. You could always put a bull bar on it as well.

Consider putting a front hitch mount built into the bumper and mounting your winch on a cradle that let's you use it front or rear and only when necessary. It should give you a better approach angle and keep the extra weight off the front until needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i checked out the guys web site he does good work, flat steel would look alot better, some guy has a tube bumper on his it's not the best looking

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. A local welder here has done a few bumpers for some of the fire guys and does good work. I'll make sure to post pics to when he gets mine done. He even said he'd be willing to produce a few if there's interest.

·
1,993 Posts
I'm doing the same thing. A local welder here has done a few bumpers for some of the fire guys and does good work. I'll make sure to post pics to when he gets mine done. He even said he'd be willing to produce a few if there's interest.
let me know what you come up with a front bumper is way down on my mod list but if someone local can bang one out I might have to move it up the priority list

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok went with tube style bumper, quick question I am cosidering adding a stinger to the bumper..any thoughts? What is exactly thier purpose as well? I am stopping by shop tmrw and I will be taking pictures and will post them tmrw as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ok went with tube style bumper, quick question I am cosidering adding a stinger to the bumper..any thoughts? What is exactly thier purpose as well? I am stopping by shop tmrw and I will be taking pictures and will post them tmrw as well.
For the most part they're an extension of one's manhood, or lack thereof. But the technical purpose is to prevent forward rollover on a steep decent. But with our integrated frame I doubt you could have something built strong enough to support 5000lbs with momentum. I'm thinking of going partial flat steel, partial tubing on mine. The wifey gave me the go ahead on superlift so bumper is now a little lower on my list but spring at latest.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
The stinger on my bumper is more protection for the wench then anything else.

·
2,248 Posts
Does Janet know that you are calling her a "Wench" or were you referring to the "Winch" on your front bumper.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pictures Yippie!!!

Here are some pics of how its coming out... I like it, should be done early next week, still has to make more supports and winch plate and stinger with support brackets...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
Here are some pics of how its coming out... I like it, should be done early next week, still has to make more supports and winch plate and stinger with support brackets...
Gonna' make these easier to view for ya', BIGMANINDS.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Thanks jeep5253. :bowdown:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts