Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to modify my front bumper to improve clearance and space for the front wheels.

What I want to do is reshape it using cuts and heat to reshape it.

Has anyone used to heat to reshape the bumper? How does it react to heat?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It doesn't like heat too much. It is very hard to get it to keep a nice looking shape. It tends to get bubbly and wavy. I think the paint would not respond well to it either.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not too worried about the paint as I plan to sand and cover it with truck bedliner after the reshape.

I was thinking of a heat gun.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
That is the best bet. An open flame is too much for the plastic because there is a very fine line between pliable and melted. I suggest you take your time and heat it slowly and evenly then have some preshaped blocks of wood or something similar that you can use to bend it the way you want. That will help keep it from looking too rough.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be an ultimate goal but I just bought a front winch mount and the winch will follow now. A steel bumper will take money and time.

Remember...Small steps Sparks... small steps.

·
2,248 Posts
I'm not too worried about the paint as I plan to sand and cover it with truck bedliner after the reshape.

Bedliner....now that is a cool idea. Wish I had thought of it. Good luck and paint might look slick...but bedliner is forever.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
What type of winch mount did you get? I am interested in either mounting a receiver hitch on the front or some other means that avoids replacing the entire bumper system.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I wanted to build a steel bumper too ... my goal would be to make it look as much lie the stock bumper as possible .. just made out of steel

But in the mean time I installed a front receiver for the winch to mount to.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yeggster where did you buy your receiver, how much was it and how was the install?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts