Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just sharing a few photos of my front bumper repair.

When I bought the Jeep last year, it had a fair amount of abuse on it despite fairly low mileage (87K). I got it cheap, though, at about $3800 US so I figured out approximately how much repairs would cost to get it back to mint and decided it was worth it. The former owner smashed the front bumper and then did a "hill billy" repair job on it. I should have taken before pictures because it was quite laughable. He hit something just to the center of the driver's bumperette. This pushed the metal back about 2 inches with a fair sized dent. The plastic was shattered so he just stuffed the space behind it with aluminum plates and wrapped a sheet of roofing shingle around the damage holding it place with 3 inch drywall screws. I kid you not. He then painted the damaged bumper and the body all the way around under the moldings with rocker guard. He even did the insides of the doors without masking anything so there was rocker guard sprayed onto the interior and seat belts. No proper paint prep so it is slowly peeling.

I planned to strip it and repaint it all body color next year. We decided to take it out hunting with us this year as my brother's Ramcharger had a bad rear driveshaft but it needed to have the tow hook kit I bought for it installed so we stripped the damaged front off and saw the extent of the damage. At first I though I would just buy a new front frame but it turned out to be $500 so mys brother said he would cut it apart and straighten it. He is a welder by trade and worked in oil field vehicle fab shops for many years. He flattened the dent out very nicely and was going to take out the ripple as well but I told him not to bother as it wasn't visible anyway. The photo with my finger shows how far in it was pushed. About 1 inch from the condenser.

Attachments

·
Banned
159 Posts
looks great. Gotta love those redneck engineering fixes you come across with used vehicles. I am super happy mine was relatively untouched when i got it. aside from all the rust they just spray painted over....

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I will paint the bumper and hood along with the rear tailgate next year. The tailgate had a little rust in four corners around the tailgate handle. I got rid of it with acid and just touched it up with a model brush for now. I am thinking of getting another set of flares and painting them oem body color as well and then swapping them. There have been a lot of little repairs but it isn't so bad when you do them yourself. I definitely like the vehicle. It is very agile and powerful offroad and on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts