Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bug Deflector

Just installed the MOPAR smoked Lexan bug deflector this weekend. Thought I'd pass on this useful tip:

Use a nice, new, sharp drill bit when drilling the (4) holes on the underside of the hood - this will prevent you from having to push too hard while drilling the hole, which could dimple the topside of the hood as the drill breaks through the inner layer. Luckily I had read a warning about that in another forum from someone who learned the hard way.

Looks good so far - hopefully it will work and I won't have to clean my windshield every day.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Re: Bug Deflector

That's a good one. The bug deflector was one of the first thnings I put on my hemi commander and let me tell you, keep bugs off the windshield it does not. What it does do very well is protect the leading edge and adjacent angle portion of the hood from direct impact from rocks and bugs. That's why I got mine....to protect the paint. plus it looks cool too!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I put on my front chrome air deflector and chrome fuel cover today an dit wen ton without a hitch. Just follow the directions for the air deflector and it installs easily and correct the first time. Made the front look really sharp especially since its a black vehicle. Anyone has any questions about installing either, I can answer your questions now that I have done it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
How do you think it would look (Chrome) on a Red Rock Red OVERLAND that has generally Platinum trim? john

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you like the chrome look, then it would be fine on red. I think it would add some shiny look to a otherwise painted front area. But, thats just my opinion and as we all know we all have different tastes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hope this works, i attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Looks great! Mine is midnight blue and I will be doing exactly the same thing in the next couple of weeks. Yours looks fantastic! The only advice I would ask, is there anything special you did to keep the front deflector exactly parallel to the hood line? I was also thinking about the chrome door handles, that may be too much... I already have the chrome grab rails in back.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It actually is very easy to install if you take your time to line it up for the holes to be drilled. You have to make sure you close the hood to the first click and line it up. then gently lift it up to mark the holes. You remove it, drill the holes with a 3/16 then put the rust preventive on, push the plastic clips in and reinstall it on, line up the holes to where you made the maek, insert the screws, and snug up. Then, close the hood again to the first detent to make sure everything still lines up, if it does, tighten it down. When your done, put on the 3- 3m square pads they give you to make sure your hood doesnt get marked up. As for the chrome door handles, Im all for it. I ordered them for mine as I think the darker colors look sharp with all the chrome accents.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Put my Air Deflector on the Dark Kahki this week, it too looks great. Love that you get all the how toos on this site.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This does help one to install things if someone has done it already so you know what to look for. So, you gonna post a pic so we can see??

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
I cannot figure out how to send larger files. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
A photobucket account is what I did. Its fairly easy once you figure out you click the IMG in photobucket under the actual pic then paste it into the message. You can only do 5 at a time though.

·
Registered
588 Posts
jasonb said:
It actually is very easy to install if you take your time to line it up for the holes to be drilled. You have to make sure you close the hood to the first click and line it up. then gently lift it up to mark the holes. You remove it, drill the holes with a 3/16 then put the rust preventive on, push the plastic clips in and reinstall it on, line up the holes to where you made the maek, insert the screws, and snug up. Then, close the hood again to the first detent to make sure everything still lines up, if it does, tighten it down. When your done, put on the 3- 3m square pads they give you to make sure your hood doesnt get marked up. As for the chrome door handles, Im all for it. I ordered them for mine as I think the darker colors look sharp with all the chrome accents.
You didnt mention it, but when you installed your chrome gas cap cover did you have to pull out the rubber stops and trim off some so it would fit flush with the body of the jeep? John

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes, you have to trim them to make make the fuel door close tighter. I should have mentioned that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am actually taking off the air deflector that was dealer installed on mine. I've had bad experience with those things.
1. Snow/slush/salt collecting under it.
2. The little plastic "legs' that support it do mar the paint.
3. Lack of normal air flow over the hood by the blow dryers at car washes; the hood always looks water spotted and has to be hand dried.
4. Abnormal sun fading of the area under it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts