Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 commander sport. I took it in for new lower bushings. While replacing the lower control arms they needed to replace the clevis (under extended warranty). The problem is chrysler has no clevises in stock and the parts manager is stating the have a delivery date of September. I have been looking for the right side one world wide. Anyone know where I can get one. I do not want to lift the truck and the dealer wants a new part.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I've never heard of these needing to be replaced.
Should be easy to find these in a junkyard, not exactly a sought after part.

You mean the clevis bolt?

I'll bet the bolt seized as they often do and they had to torch it out. I have never heard of having to replace the clevis in this case. Only the bolt and bushing.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Unless they damaged the clevis using a torch or a big cutter wheel to cut the clevis bolt out.

Perhaps the techs foolishly thought the new strut would come with a clevis already on it, cut the old shock out by cutting the clevis (easier than cutting the bolt) only to find when they unboxed the new shock, they were suppose to re-use the clevis they just destroyed.

If its just the clevis bolt, I'd think you could find another universal bolt of the same dimensions and hardness would do fine. There is no need for the anchor tab when doing the job manually.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was wondering what a front clevis part was.:bangin:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts

#18 is the Clevis, #10 is the Clevis bolt that connects the clevis to the lower control arm. In real life the bolt is much bigger and longer than the picture. The bottom of the shock fits into the clevis, the driveshaft goes in between the inverted "U" of the clevis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I asked the dealer why they had to replace the clevis and got some vague answers about it being damaged. I suspect they damaged it trying to get the bolt out. If the lower bushings/control arm repair had not been covered by chrysler I would have taken it to a different shop. I have been trying to find the clevis used or new. Problem is no one makes a after market clevis that does not involve lifting the truck And none of the used part/junkyard guys in my area seem to have one at this time.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
While it is certainly worth the effort to try and see if they have one, the problem is, that is just one of many Dealer that just sells Dealer Parts online at a discount. The parts come from the same system as the Dealer telling the O.P. that it is out of stock and won't be in till Sept. So don't get your hopes up to high, likely they will tell you they can't get the part just like the dealer in your area is saying they can't get the part.

Have you tried junkyards from that do internet orders or mail order?

As well, the dealer that performed this work, the vehicle is still apart and they can't put it back together until you get the part sometime in Sept? I'd be calling or writing Chrysler Customer Service about this dealer and situation. Even if it is NOT the dealers fault, Chrysler should get put on report for its failure to keep necessary parts in supply. Perhaps with some complaining they will be able to shake a part out of the trees for you.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Unless they damaged the clevis using a torch or a big cutter wheel to cut the clevis bolt out.

Perhaps the techs foolishly thought the new strut would come with a clevis already on it, cut the old shock out by cutting the clevis (easier than cutting the bolt) only to find when they unboxed the new shock, they were suppose to re-use the clevis they just destroyed.

If its just the clevis bolt, I'd think you could find another universal bolt of the same dimensions and hardness would do fine. There is no need for the anchor tab when doing the job manually.
This is the only scenario that I can think of. Which means that the dealer is at fault. They should pay for your (OP) transportation until they can fix the problem.

The clevis is definitely not a wear item it is a very solid hunk of steel, there is no reason for it to be replaced unless it was damaged by the tech or a car accident.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I hope I'm wrong, but I think the Dealer Part system is suppose to keep track of the location of all parts and move them around as needed. i.e. if they say its out, that means its out at all dealerships.

Of course no system is perfect, so perhaps there is one untracked on a shelf somewhere. I'd think finding a big junkyard that ships is your best bet.

Once you get the shock/strut assembly out, removing the clevis is easy, just pull the bolt with an air-impact wrench and a couple of smacks with a sledge and its off. The problem is getting the shock/strut assembly out, especially if the clevis bolt is corroded in, getting a junkyard to do that for you. Many times the junkyards use a torch to remove parts, cutting the less valuable pieces up to pull the more valuable pieces out. Which means a lot of them likely also damaged if NOT destroyed the clevis to get the shock and control arm out of the junked vehicle.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the latest news is after going through the seven levels of fiat chrysler hell, I got a person who told me that they terminated their old supplier for the clevis some time and currently are seeking a new supplier "up to chrysler's high standards". At best I may see the part late in the fourth quarter of 2015. The fact that the part has not been produced in over a year explains why I can not find it even used.:mofo:

·
Registered
147 Posts
that sucks

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
You need to call Chrysler Customer Service about the Dealership, the fact is:

You brought the vehicle in for a new shocks and should have had it back in a couple of hours. They are now telling you, that you won't get your vehicle back for 6 months.

The Dealership, or FCA should be doing something to remedy this for you other than saying, you'll have to wait 6 months without your vehicle. Whether that be providing you a rental car or some sort of dealer vehicle to use during that time. Or they should be scrounging every junkyard in the country to get this part to fix this problem.

Somehow the dealership screwed up, that clevis should NOT get damaged during a shock replacement.

FCA definitely screwed up, they have half a million cars on the road (the Grand Cherokee has the same suspension) that use that part and they are literally saying, if one of them needs that part, they'll just have to sit 6 months until we get some more made?

As well, FCA and their Dealerships should be working together to get this word out, any maintenance involving this part that can wait, they should be advising customers to wait until the part is available again, other wise, if the part is damaged during removal, the vehicle will be stranded until the part is available again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem is not with the dealer. The truck came in for new lower ball joints and chrysler only makes the lower control arm with the ball joint installed the problem was the clevis bolt was seized in the clevis and in trying to remove it the damage occured. Chrysler customer care is a joke. After talking to 4 levels of customer care the person gave me two options. One, I wait it out or two they would sell me a new vehicle for 5 percent off sticker. They did advise me that waiting it out was not the best option but to get into a truck equipped like mine would be a 2 grand discount on a 40 grand truck. The commander runs great and I keep it up so I don't think I should have to dump it due to their poor planning. Both the dealer and other parts people have said this is a screw up on FCA and no one has a clue why. I also found out at last count there are over 50 vehicles (Commander, grand Cherokee, and Charger) that are waiting on the same part.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
The problem is not with the dealer. The truck came in for new lower ball joints and chrysler only makes the lower control arm with the ball joint installed the problem was the clevis bolt was seized in the clevis and in trying to remove it the damage occured. Chrysler customer care is a joke. After talking to 4 levels of customer care the person gave me two options. One, I wait it out or two they would sell me a new vehicle for 5 percent off sticker. They did advise me that waiting it out was not the best option but to get into a truck equipped like mine would be a 2 grand discount on a 40 grand truck. The commander runs great and I keep it up so I don't think I should have to dump it due to their poor planning. Both the dealer and other parts people have said this is a screw up on FCA and no one has a clue why. I also found out at last count there are over 50 vehicles (Commander, grand Cherokee, and Charger) that are waiting on the same part.
Those lazy $^&$%.
They couldn't press out the old ball joint and press in a new one instead of trashing a part that can't be replaced?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Even if that bolt was seized, it is easy enough to cut it out with a Metabo and just replace the bolt. That is exactly what I had to do on one side when I put my lift in. If they damaged the clevis while doing this it is their fault and you should be compensated.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Every case I've heard of the clevis bolt seizing, it was seizing to the collar in the bushing that is in the control arm. NOT seizing to the Clevis itself. The only way to damage the clevis is through sloppiness or total disregard for causing any additional damage.

Regardless, there has got to be a wrecked or junked Commander or 3rd Generation Grand Cherokee somewhere in a junkyard that can pull the clevis and send it to you.

Yes, Chrysler Customer service is a joke if they are suggesting the solution to the problem they caused for you, is you only pay them $38k for a new truck instead of $40k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts