Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's clear our new Commander is a bug magnet. I purchased the hood cover, but the front grille, headlights and bumper and littered with former flying creatures.

Anyone sell a cover or other protective thingy to help preserve my paint job (and reduce my bug-remover expenses)?

·
Registered
77 Posts
... I have had many cars and whether it is sporty and low, or high and boxy, I eat up flies when driving fast. I have none of the options such as bug reflectors, or covers.
Simply, I take advantage of the free window cleaner sponge at the gas station, wet the problem area while fueling up [which is often ;)] and take (free) wet paper towles to wipe them off. Better yet, I get a car wash (does not always have to be the expensive one), but again, making the area wet in advance is important!
I have a power washer in my yard hooked up, that greatly helps me, but most people do not have such a hook up readily available, but it surely is nice :)
All the other solutions may protect the paint, but you want to clean them anyway to make your Jeep look nice, do you not?

·
Registered
473 Posts
i've never tried it so i can't say that it would work but in nascar they spray the wheels with Pam cooking spray to keep the brake dust from sticking to the wheels. maybe someone could try that. might work on the wheels also.

·
Registered
556 Posts
topcop38 said:
but in nascar they spray the wheels with Pam cooking spray to keep the brake dust from sticking to the wheels. maybe someone could try that. might work on the wheels also.
Well Topcop,
Since you volunteered first, pls let us know. Sounds accually pretty good on the wheels, but the front end, I'm not sure of.
Maybe I'll try rubbing some Crisco on my hood and cook some eggs:D

·
Registered
473 Posts
i'll try it on my truck and let you know how it works. i don't have any problems with bugs on the front around here so i can't help with that but i'll let you know about the wheels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a quick tip on getting the gross off your grill. Take a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and use it as the directions say. I dip it in the bucket of suds and wipe the bugs right off. Just be careful not to scrub too hard. After they are all off (because it takes ALL of them off) put a good coat of wax on the front end, maybe even two to three coats. That way next time the elbow won't have to work so hard!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts