Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please share how much you paid to replace the front differential bushings -- all as required for a complete job??? Mine need replacing I have the clunk coming out of park, etc., and it is pronounced driving on the horrible Michigan roads.

Thx in advance.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
$0 - I have the lifetime drivetrain policy, hope you do to:laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Can someone please share how much you paid to replace the front differential bushings -- all as required for a complete job??? Mine need replacing I have the clunk coming out of park, etc., and it is pronounced driving on the horrible Michigan roads.

Thx in advance.
@quickster2;

6th post down in this thread are some recent prices from one of our newer members who just had the front differential bushing job completed.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/89-new-member-section/71345-hello-whittier-ca-4.html

ElKomander said:
Hi guys, just wanted to give a quick update. I got a third quote from a jeep dealer, $1050 for parts and labor. So what I did is I bought the parts from a dealer (through amazon). They looked legit, good reviews. Package arrived, two bushings and the mount, in mopar packaging and with the right stickers and everything, 130 bucks. Took it to my friends mechanic and he installed everything with the help of a friend (80 year old retired mechanic!) They replaced the bushings and changed the front and rear differential fluid for $250 in labor. With the differential oil and additives my total cost was $450. No more clunk! I am very happy with the results.
So if you go to a dealership, looks like it will be $1,000.00 to $1200.00 depending on where you live. I had mine replaced about a year and a half ago, but I don't remember what it cost me off the top of my head and I'm out of the country right now, so, I can't go digging through my receipts to look.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Nor do some of us 1ST time owners who's XK was built before July of 06. I think July is the correct month. Go figure.
Yep, that's a raw deal for sure and I wasn't aware of that.

What I do know is that only original XK owners had the option to buy it - so even if you are the 2nd owner like me - and the original owner bought it (as is the case with mine) it does not transfer over to the new owner and there is no option from FCA to purchase it, which is a really crappy business practice on FCA's part.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a clunk too but when I checked out the differential bushings, I could not see any damage. I had my brother drive by while I listened. Turns out an upper control arm bushing is pounded out causing the clunk.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Some of us 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Commander owners don't have that luxury. :|
I was a second owner and had a couple extra bucks, dealer stole $1,600 from me - I have now recovered it all:grin2:
Plan on getting more back as I only have 93,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
52089516AB 52114354AA were the part numbers for my bushings and mount. I had all of them replaced, two bushings and one mount. One bushing was completely worn out, the other one slightly and the mount looked ok but i had it replaced anyway. But yeah, its expensive. Parts can be found if you shop around, finding someone to install them for a reasonable price is hard since it is a lot of work.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
I was a second owner and had a couple extra bucks, dealer stole $1,600 from me - I have now recovered it all:grin2:
Plan on getting more back as I only have 93,000 miles on it.
I'm only at 97,300 miles and the 35,000 miles I've put on my XK in the 4 years I've had it, have been mostly highway miles driving back & forth from Virginia to Florida.

I actually bought my XK at a BMW dealership as the original owner (a 66 year old woman) traded it in for a brand new mini-cooper. The BMW Dealership gave me a 1 year Fidelity warranty with it, but they didn't offer any kind of extended warranty or I would have jumped on it.

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
I have a clunk too but when I checked out the differential bushings, I could not see any damage. I had my brother drive by while I listened. Turns out an upper control arm bushing is pounded out causing the clunk.
I have an issue with one of my JBA upper control arm bushings (driver's side forward most bushing) is clunking on occasion - which surprised me when my mechanic told me that was the cause - I was expecting it to be the sway bar bushings.

Funny thing is the JBA upper control arms have a lifetime warranty and the ball joints are rebuildable, but the bushings are only under warranty for a year.

Fortunately I had this diagnosed in about 11 months and Marlin sent me a new JBA upper control arm free of charge - I just have to mail him back the old one when I have it replaced toward the end of this month. He even pre-paid for the shipping to send the old one back to him.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have an issue with one of my JBA upper control arm bushings (driver's side forward most bushing) is clunking on occasion - which surprised me when my mechanic told me that was the cause - I was expecting it to be the sway bar bushings.

Funny thing is the JBA upper control arms have a lifetime warranty and the ball joints are rebuildable, but the bushings are only under warranty for a year.

Fortunately I had this diagnosed in about 11 months and Marlin sent me a new JBA upper control arm free of charge - I just have to mail him back the old one when I have it replaced toward the end of this month. He even pre-paid for the shipping to send the old one back to him.
Thats great that marlin replced it but they shloud not go bad that quickly. I would still be upset with that considering the time and expense required to replace the item especially when those are very expensive ucas built specifically for lifted xks.

To give some perspective my stock oem uca bushings have 145k miles on them and 50k miles have been with a lift. They have not failed. Jba should have figured out how to make poly bushings last longer then a year...

·
Super Moderator
5,779 Posts
Thats great that marlin replced it but they shloud not go bad that quickly. I would still be upset with that considering the time and expense required to replace the item especially when those are very expensive ucas built specifically for lifted xks.

To give some perspective my stock oem uca bushings have 145k miles on them and 50k miles have been with a lift. They have not failed. Jba should have figured out how to make poly bushings last longer then a year...
Yep, I'm not real happy about it, especially considering that I'm pretty mellow driver, even when I'm off-road.

But even the best products will produce a bad one out of the bunch occasionally.

Hopefully this new one will live up to expectations.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bushings for 2 = $78, Bracket or mount 180.00. Labor $440. No time nor gumption to do this myself. Mainly time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts