Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy people,
New to this forum but not to Jeeps and Chrysler products (my 5th Jeep!). I've searched and had problems getting the exact drain plug HEX size for my wife's 06 Commander. It's a big hex, not a Torx, right? Anyone know the exact size of this? I'm gonna have to hit the parts store to pick one up and want to make certain.

Thanks!
Eddie

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah i had the exact same problem. I ended up buying a couple hexes that i didnt need. You need a 14mm Hex. That'll do ya!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 45cal! I'll go get one and finish-up my service. Thanks again for the info.

-Eddie "40cal" ;-)

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
This site is awesome, I was looking for this exact information, thanks guys!
Your more than welcome, hope you find many more answers here to other questions about your Commander.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just tried to change the front differential fluid but it appears I have a plug that needs something larger than 14 mm. It could almost stand to have a 19 or 20mm hex key. Has anyone else run into this issue? Looks like I am making a trip to sears.

·
Registered
423 Posts
^^^LOL, nvm guys, I am an idiot sometimes. For some reason I thought my hex set went up to 14mm when in fact it goes up to 10mm. I'm off to buy a 14mm hex key right now. hahaha

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is limited space for the fill plug on the front axle, the 14mm hex head I got was on the long side and it would NOT fit with the breaker bar, I ended up having to spend some time cutting it down with my dremel.

I "think" the xfer case is 10mm, maybe 12mm, but you need another size hex head to do everything. So, if you see a set for a good price, its worth it, cause you'll need another size to do the xfer case as well.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Well apparently 14mm allen keys are a weird size. I've been to Sears, Harbor Freight, and Northern Tool and no one has them in stock. So I am ordering one from Northern Tool.

Mongo, I've already changed the rest of my fluids, my hectic schedule and crappy weather allow me limited time to do everything at once. The Transfer case takes a 10mm allen/hex key.

·
Registered
319 Posts
29.99 off the snap-on truck. rip off's but its what i had to do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your not sure what size to get, maybe you can find a bolt with the same size head on it for fitment. If you have that, just lock two nuts together on the end of the bolt. Then you can use a wrench or socket on the nuts to back the plug out. Its a cheap way to get you by.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If your not sure what size to get, maybe you can find a bolt with the same size head on it for fitment. If you have that, just lock two nuts together on the end of the bolt. Then you can use a wrench or socket on the nuts to back the plug out. Its a cheap way to get you by.
:respect:That never occured to me, but yea, it would work, and unless I misundertand the sizing, a hex head that fits a 14mm wrench would work.

For those that don't know what he means by "just lock two nuts together on the end of the bolt", you put two nuts on the end of the bolt and then put two wrenches on them, one per bolt, and turn them in opposite directions against each other. Tighten them hard against each other, then you turn the whole Nut like one of the bolts was a bolt head. Same way to pull out studs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts