Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May first indication was a noise on a sharp left turn while leaving the gas pump, I thought it was a bad CV joint, but that was the last I heard the noise for about 300 miles. Some of which I spent aired down and in the sand, now I hear a noise like a bearing is bad while accelerating. The noise seems to go away once I hit Hiway speeds. I took it to the dealer today, but have not heard back from them. Just courious if others have experienced this problem and what they found.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Are you sure it's not a bad wheel bearing/hub assembly?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just heard from the dealer the drive shaft needs to be replaced. They also mentioned some mounts, maybe for the transfer case. Let you know when I pick it up maybe tomorrow, or Monday depending when the shaft arrives.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think they are refering to the transmission crossmember mount bushings. There are no bushings/mount for the transfer case. Either that or maybe the front diff mount bushings.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right, in may uneducatred mind, it made more sense to me the they X-fer case would have mounts versus a differential. He did say differential mounts which he thought was probably the cause of my problem.
Sandy may have kept me from a beach breakdown since I had been at Cape Hatteras since the Sunday prior to Sandy's arrival. I left Friday afternoon to head back to FL.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to bring clouser to this post, just picked up my XK and it is quiet as ever. The dealer replaced the following a front cover bracket, isolator axel mounting and the front drive shaft. The front drive shaft joint was worn and causing the noise and 2 differential were broken. I guess that the drive shaft joint replaced a normal u-joint, which now causes the need to replace the drive shaft. Do the engineers really work with the marketing folks to come up with these solutions?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts