Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm was getting a lot of noise out of the front end on my 2006 Commander with QT1. Kind of a roaring noise. I first replaced the passenger side hub which removed about 90 percent of it. I then replaced the drivers side hub thinking it might be getting bad too. There wasn't hardly any change in the little bit of noise that is left. Noise sounds like a bearing with a rough spot as it rotates. Is it normal to get some driveline noise in a full time 4WD system? I'm wondering if it could be in the differential? Are they hard to replace bearings in? Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to remove. Remove CV shafts and I think it unbolts at 3 locations. All opinions welcome.

Thanks
Paul :icon_confused:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Replacing bearings in a differential is difficult, requiring special tools and precision measurements.

Check fluid levels and conditions in the axle and xfer case.

Check the joints in all the driveshafts, they could be making noise.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would you go about checking the Ujoints in the driveline? All the fluids are at the correct level and look good. Driveline joints seem tight. No play that I can feel.

Paul

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
did u replace the front end fluid with also friction modifier?
I believe the modifier is for Quadra Drive II equipped Jeeps with the limited slip differentials only. The Quadra Trac and others don't need the modifier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the fluids go, I just use what is recommended in the owners/service manual. All the fluids are fine. What kind of noise should a front diff. give me? What I'm hearing is a pulsating roar or growl.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts