Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just getting ready to install the 2" Rough Country Lift on the '08 Commander 4x4, just one quick question. Do most people need an alignment after the install on the front tires? Is it possible I won't? I'm guessing I probably will, and if so, will it be manageable enough to at least drive a few miles to the tire shop? And how exactly would I adjust the toe in or out if it was pretty out of whack, so I could at least get to an alignment shop? Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get em on! The spacers are just sitting in a stack in my living room, taunting me :grin2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes, you'll definitely need an alignment. Any time the front end is lifted (or lowered) the geometry changes and the alignment gets everything back to factory specs.

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting to the shop, though I wouldn't advise driving on the highway. Take back roads where you can keep it below about 40 or so. The toe won't be the issue; the camber will be off with the tops of the tires further out than the bottom. Toe will need adjusted too but won't keep you from driving it.

:thumbsup:

Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Yes, you'll definitely need an alignment. Any time the front end is lifted (or lowered) the geometry changes and the alignment gets everything back to factory specs.

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting to the shop, though I wouldn't advise driving on the highway. Take back roads where you can keep it below about 40 or so. The toe won't be the issue; the camber will be off with the tops of the tires further out than the bottom. Toe will need adjusted too but won't keep you from driving it.

Bob
Yep, as usual Bob nailed it.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Why a four wheel alignment? On most vehicles with a solid rear axle, there aren't any adjustments available for the rear tires.
You have a good point here. I had a 4 wheel alignment done on mine after shocks, bushings, end links, etc., on all 4 ends. For me it was as much piece of mind on a new to me WK with 95K miles at the time. I can say I am very happy with the way the vehicle tracks down the road in all conditions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've only ever had front end alignments done, but I've had most of my rear suspension completely apart and saw no adjustment points, so I was wondering if I had missed something.

I don't object to getting a four wheel alignment if it gives you peace of mind, but I think they may be charging for a four wheel alignment while not adjusting the rear at all.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Actually not true about not needing 4 wheel alignment. The rear axle can shift out of place. Results in a condition called dog tracking which increases tire wear and costs fuel economy. Tires are expensive, why risk it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually not true about not needing 4 wheel alignment. The rear axle can shift out of place. Results in a condition called dog tracking which increases tire wear and costs fuel economy. Tires are expensive, why risk it.
I am curious about this also. The tire shops always "recommend" a 4 wheel alignment and as someone said earlier - what can they adjust in the rear? If the rear axle "shifts out of place" - how is it adjusted back?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Generally you loosen all the mounting hardware and physically shift the axle. A vehicle dog tracks because the back wheels are further away on one side.

I bought a 1989 Ramcharger many years back that had it quite noticeably. My brother and I jacked up the back and used a winch the pull it back once all the fasteners were loosened. Once the distance on each side was measured to be the same, we torqued all the mounting hardware.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Bob
Appreciate it! Would it be possible to tow it from the back of a moving van with the front tires lifted up for a couple hundred miles without an alignment? I really hope so, because I think that's gonna have to happen no matter the answer lol. Thanks for the good answer man.:smile2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Appreciate it! Would it be possible to tow it from the back of a moving van with the front tires lifted up for a couple hundred miles without an alignment? I really hope so, because I think that's gonna have to happen no matter the answer lol. Thanks for the good answer man.:smile2:
You're welcome.

No, you CANNOT tow your XK with the front wheels off the ground! If you have the QT-II or the QD-II transfer case (assuming you have a 4WD XK) you'll destroy the transfer case if you tow with just the front wheels off the ground. You can "flat-tow" it like behind a motorhome - there is a neutral switch for the transfer case that puts the entire drivetrain in neutral. But if one axle is moving while the other is not the transfer case will grenade. This is copied right out of page 324 of the '06 owner's manual - all other years are the same:

CAUTION!
Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

If you need to pull it behind a moving van you'll need a flat trailer for it - or get the alignment done before you travel so it can be driven.

Sorry for the bad news - hopefully you read this before you hook it up to a dolly and start traveling :surprise:

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're welcome.

No, you CANNOT tow your XK with the front wheels off the ground! If you have the QT-II or the QD-II transfer case (assuming you have a 4WD XK) you'll destroy the transfer case if you tow with just the front wheels off the ground. You can "flat-tow" it like behind a motorhome - there is a neutral switch for the transfer case that puts the entire drivetrain in neutral. But if one axle is moving while the other is not the transfer case will grenade. This is copied right out of page 324 of the '06 owner's manual - all other years are the same:

CAUTION!
Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

If you need to pull it behind a moving van you'll need a flat trailer for it - or get the alignment done before you travel so it can be driven.

Sorry for the bad news - hopefully you read this before you hook it up to a dolly and start traveling :surprise:

Bob
Haha yup, message recieved! I think I'll probably just get the alignment done before we leave. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts