Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slight clunking from the front end. I understand it is hard to know what it could be, but what is normally the first thing that gets worn in the front end?

My Commander has around 60k miles. Its a 2009.

From my experience these type of noises can be hard to locate just using hand force.....

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Sway bar bushings, cheap to replace also. Mine were gone at 30,000 miles

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing at 70,000miles. Changed out the sway bar bushings and the clunk is gone.

New bushings - $42.00 from the dealer.
New bushing brackets - $45.00 from the dealer.

You may not need the brackets if the have the center rib in them. Mine were the flat brackets. (2006)

It was a pretty easy job.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sway bar end links and sway bar bushings!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a slight clunking from the front end. I understand it is hard to know what it could be, but what is normally the first thing that gets worn in the front end?

My Commander has around 60k miles. Its a 2009.

From my experience these type of noises can be hard to locate just using hand force.....
My 2007 XH had more like a banging noise from the front, mostly I recognised it in low speeds. Sometimes I didn't hear it for a while, then it could repeat like 5 times in a row. Based on replies on various Forums it was supposed to be for sure whatever shaft/rod/bushing/jadajada. They fixed it during my 100k service, I'd never guessed it, it was a leaking Turbo intake!

·
Registered
76 Posts
There's a brace that attaches to the top of the front differential, it has a rubber bushing in it that goes bad, that was the source of my clunking.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had my commander looked at for the same reasons. The shop said it was the sway bar bushings and links. Still waiting to pick up from shop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HEAD6119, When you replaced the rubber Bushing in the brace at the top of the front differential, did you put that in yourself or someone at a shop? I have the same issue with what you're describing and also with the sway bar. I want to do the work myself if possible. Thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I am not a mechanic by trade but if you look at the two metal clamps on the front of the sway bar, you just take out two bolts for each C clamp and underneath are a donut shaped bushing that has a slit in it so you can take them out. The Moog is a great replacement.

I had never explicitly looked for the sway bar but just look for a thick bar at the front of the engine compartment that goes from one side to the other and looks like this /---\. The links are at each end and when you replace them, the new ones will have everything you need.

Also, my clunking was fixed with the UCAs but I don't think that would be the issue with a stock commander.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had mine clunking off and on for the past month or so as well. I'm at 95k miles and it only does it when I give it throttle. I've also noticed a slight hum from the rear end but the clunking seems to be coming from the front end / drive train.

Have you noticed yours under power or is it just more generally when you're running around? Mine is typically in first and second gear, while in traffic. If I give it power there's a clunk. When I let off nothing really happens but give it gas again and clunk. Drives me insane.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Changing the bushings didn't solve my problem. Changed all the suggested bushings and that didn't help so I have left it alone for awhile. Very annoying.

I took the commander in to get the tires rotated yesterday and the tech asked if I was having noise issues. He said that it was common on the Jeeps and showed me the issue I was having. He pointed out to small cracks on the wheel. It seems that what looked like chrome wheels is really just a non-removeable hub cap that will crack and start to make that rattle when hitting bumps. With the Jeep off the ground he hit the tire with a hammer and there was the noise. He rotated the tires and now my noise is coming from the rear. Just not as noticeable from the driver seat.

The only way to get rid of the noise is to replace the wheel. Unfortunately the used replacement he found had a small crack in the cap also. So, for now I live with it but am happy that it isn't something that is causing more damage to the vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts