Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I smashed into an 18 wheeler! Some lady cut the driver off and he had to slam on his breaks as did I but unfortunately it was not enough time.

I am quite alright but the front of my XK is not. However, it looks like I'll actually make out like a bandit on this one. The insurance company cut me a check directly. I will be using the funds for the below!

WAM bumper with stinger, winch, and Rigid Industries Amber fog lights (WAM is already working on the bumper)

9500 Smittybuilt winch with synthetic line and aluminum fairness

Rigid 20" LED Light Bar to mount on bumper

(2) Rigid Amber Fog Lights

(2) Black housing replacement headlights

(1) Black OEM replacement grill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Damn! Core, glad to hear you're ok. We can always replace a car, but people not so much.

Man, that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in my 4xGuard Matrix. Looks like it folded up pretty good but still transferred a lot of energy to the bumper. I would have expected it to take the damage and save the bumper. How fast do you estimate the impact? And definitely show us some pics of the WAM when you get it installed!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn! Core, glad to hear you're ok. We can always replace a car, but people not so much.

Man, that doesn't inspire a ton of confidence in my 4xGuard Matrix. Looks like it folded up pretty good but still transferred a lot of energy to the bumper. I would have expected it to take the damage and save the bumper. How fast do you estimate the impact? And definitely show us some pics of the WAM when you get it installed!

I was only driving maybe 20 mph but keep in mind I was dead stopped into a steel bumper of an 18 wheeler lol he had no damage. I agree though, not just is my bumper totaled it even bent up the steel behind the bumper. Luckily I have to cut that steel out to install my WAM bumper.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
I was only driving maybe 20 mph but keep in mind I was dead stopped into a steel bumper of an 18 wheeler lol he had no damage. I agree though, not just is my bumper totaled it even bent up the steel behind the bumper. Luckily I have to cut that steel out to install my WAM bumper.

Dam Core that's unfortunate, but, I'm glad you are o.k.

Can't wait to see the WAM Bumper, I have one of those in my near future too

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New headlights came in today. I also took some of the damage out of the bumper with boiling hot water and some Chrysler paint to cover some of the damage. Looks good for now until the WAM bumper comes in. Overall, I love the black headlights and grill.

·
Registered
359 Posts
New headlights came in today. I also took some of the damage out of the bumper with boiling hot water and some Chrysler paint to cover some of the damage. Looks good for now until the WAM bumper comes in. Overall, I love the black headlights and grill.

Looks a lot like my commander, before I took it apart that is. It's a good look for sure.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

Core, Enlighten me on using boiling water to remove dents in plastic parts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Core, Enlighten me on using boiling water to remove dents in plastic parts

Very simple. Boil a pot of water. Take your plastic part off and slowly and evenly pour it on the damage and surrounding areas. Once it is all poured, take your hands and push the plastic back into its original place. It will naturally want to go into its normal form you just need to help it.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
I like it. It will look much better with the WAM bumper and winch. I am also going to do custom Commander letters on the hood instead of the Jeep badge.

I have plans for the same upgrade when I go back to Florida this April - gonna stop by WAM in Douglasville, Georgia on my home and place the order in person and get an up close look at exactly what option they have to offer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Realized the accident actually pushed my hood latch up so I fixed that today and decided to do some custom Commander letters in place of the Jeep badge. I'm digging the all black on the front. Still running chrome on black on the sides and rear.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also painted that grill a matte black instead of it's somewhat gloss finish. I'll post that picture once I take one. Also, WAM just notified me the parts came in and my bumper is being built this week. I will post pictures when it arrives and during install.

·
Administrator
6,211 Posts
Realized the accident actually pushed my hood latch up so I fixed that today and decided to do some custom Commander letters in place of the Jeep badge. I'm digging the all black on the front. Still running chrome on black on the sides and rear.

I like the Commander letters on the hood.

I assume you did that Core?

·
Registered
24 Posts
CORE... with that "frame/base" bumper, would it be better to tweek/add with a forward leaning bar then apply powder coat, and reinstall. might be a nice looking beast.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts