Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Limited HEMI with an OME 2.5in Lift, JeepinByAL A-Arms and I do not have spacers. I keep getting a clunk and popping in tight turns at low speed and I just found a part of the lower control arm is rubbing up against the interior of the part that houses the Caliper/Brake assembly. I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem, knows what causes it or how to fix it? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
yeah, i ahve the same problem, but have no idea what it is. I also have that scaring from the LCA, but I didn't that could be the issue. anyone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The place that installed my lift says everything is ok but im going back next week to have them tear it down. I think it may end up being a loose tie rod or ball joint...maybe even steering rack bushings.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The rub mark on the aluminum steering knuckle is normal, that is the contact point for hitting the steering limit. I have it on my 2010 that has stock suspension height.

The symptoms you describe sound like a CV Joint in the front drive shafts, which often wear more quickly and are under more stress when you do a lift.

If you have QDII, the LSD can bind in very tight turns, often that is because the diff fluid is worn out or changed without using the proper friction modifier additive. If you do NOT have QDII, then you have open differentials and would be very unlikely to be the problem.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
funny you mention the binding during tight turns. My LSD fluid has been changed twice since I bought my Jeep with 63k miles (currently ay 130k) and the modifier fluid has been added both times. It still binds during tight turns. The service dept. says it's normal and not to worry. Should I?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideas

I actually had my diff fluid changed about two months ago, with the modifier added. At this point I agree it is most likely the CV joints or steering rack bushings. Since the Jeep is a 2008 and I just put the lift on a few months ago,I believe the bigger tires and lift put a new stress on already 7 year old parts. Im going to have them replaced this coming week and I'll let you know what happens. Glad to see others have that same scarring from the LCA so I wont worry about that as much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I'll take every centimeter I can get!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my wallet is lighter but the job is done. Everything is tighter than a knat's ass stretched over the lip of a mason jar. Unexpectedly, the rubbing on the right front tire when at full lock (turning wheel right) I was getting since my lift was installed has also almost completely gone. I'm pretty confident the new wheels, tires and lift I got a few months ago accelerated the demise of already 9 year old (117,000 miles) ball joints and sway bar bushings.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well, my wallet is lighter but the job is done. Everything is tighter than a knat's ass stretched over the lip of a mason jar. Unexpectedly, the rubbing on the right front tire when at full lock (turning wheel right) I was getting since my lift was installed has also almost completely gone. I'm pretty confident the new wheels, tires and lift I got a few months ago accelerated the demise of already 9 year old (117,000 miles) ball joints and sway bar bushings.
Im sorry... What did you change out? LCA or something else?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes they replaced the entire LCA on both sides giving me new ball joints, sway bar bushing, et all. It was pricey but it did the trick. Not so much as a squeak now and I can turn the wheel from lock to lock with no issues. Sorry for the delay, I've been out and about.

·
Registered
139 Posts
no worries,

I ordered new moog lower control arms and JBA 2" disconnects for the front. My truck has low miles 37,000 but its an 06 im thinking the bushings should be a bit beatup by now. Im gettin a front clunk and cant pinpoint it.

what i have done:
- The dealer replaced the diff bushings with the exception of the front big $100 one. that - one just came in and i will be doing it hopefully tonight.
new end links & sway bar bushings.
- JBA UCA the latest one i believe gen 6.7- this got rid of this annoying chirp i was getting.
- Full OME lift with new strut mounts and isolators.
-tightened the steering rack.

Since i will be doing the LCAs and will be getting aligned im also thinking about doing the outer tie rod ends, just because...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that should nail it omega! Please post pics so we can check it out!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts