Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have searched for answers to this with no avail. I have a 2006 Commander Limited. When I accelerate the Front End Howls. It doesnt matter how fast i go its always there unless i let off the accelerator, the noise disappears completely. I have changed the drivers side Hub assembly thinking that was it. I also got new tires yesterday but that didnt change anything either. I have heard about changing the Pinion bearing but it really sounds like it is coming from the drivers side. Any suggestions?

· Registered
3,037 Posts
The location of a sound can be very deceiving while you stuck only in the driver's seat.

Try driving with windows open and closed to hear a difference.

Try to eliminate potential sources of the sound by changing conditions that will change the sound. I.e....

Wheel Bearings noise is directly related to wheel RPM, if you put the vehicle in neutral and just coast, and the noise doesn't change at all, that's a good indicator that its a wheel bearing. Heck, I had howl that grew/reduced directly with wheel speed, I even went as far as shut the motor off in a coast for absolutely no noise change, to convince me it was a wheel bearing.

Sounds like the noise increases NOT with speed or engine rpm, but when you increase torque to the front drivetrain and reduces when you reduce torque to the front drivetrain. That could be the driveshafts or the diff itself, pinion bearing being one of them. But you can't rule out the driveshaft to the diff from the XFR case either.

Something that is very effective, but a little dangerous around spinning items, is the cut off broomstick stethoscope. You could put the vehicle up on jack stands, and run the motor and put it in gear and crawl underneath putting broom stick up against the various points and putting your ear to the other end. Obviously you can't put it against higher moving/spinning parts, and be careful not to slip and get caught in those parts.

Inspect the parts and the driveshafts, try find free play/lash in the parts, if you find a part with something obvious wrong, that is likely the source of the noise as well.

· Registered
1,584 Posts
The location of a sound can be very deceiving while you stuck only in the driver's seat.

Try driving with windows open and closed to hear a difference.

Try to eliminate potential sources of the sound by changing conditions that will change the sound. I.e....

Wheel Bearings noise is directly related to wheel RPM, if you put the vehicle in neutral and just coast, and the noise doesn't change at all, that's a good indicator that its a wheel bearing. Heck, I had howl that grew/reduced directly with wheel speed, I even went as far as shut the motor off in a coast for absolutely no noise change, to convince me it was a wheel bearing.

Sounds like the noise increases NOT with speed or engine rpm, but when you increase torque to the front drivetrain and reduces when you reduce torque to the front drivetrain. That could be the driveshafts or the diff itself, pinion bearing being one of them. But you can't rule out the driveshaft to the diff from the XFR case either.

Something that is very effective, but a little dangerous around spinning items, is the cut off broomstick stethoscope. You could put the vehicle up on jack stands, and run the motor and put it in gear and crawl underneath putting broom stick up against the various points and putting your ear to the other end. Obviously you can't put it against higher moving/spinning parts, and be careful not to slip and get caught in those parts.

Inspect the parts and the driveshafts, try find free play/lash in the parts, if you find a part with something obvious wrong, that is likely the source of the noise as well.
Great suggestions, however, Don't cut up your wife's broom, here:

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I have an update. The howling starts at around 37mph and is worse at around 45-48. It only makes the nose when I am pressing on the accelerator. Still does it in all gears. And doesn't make it at all, while revving it in neutral. I put it on jack stands and it doesn't make the noise either while spinning the wheels. So only under a load it makes the noise. I'm at al loss... I don't really want to just replace everything til I fix it. Frustrating as heck!!!

· Registered
139 Posts
Mine does the same. I think it has to do the MDS, but Idk

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The MDS only works at low throttle operations and steady speed. This noise literally vibrates everything inside the cabin. My best guess is a bearing somewhere. I just have no idea how to troubleshoot it without going one part at a time.

· Registered
08, Jeep Commander (XK) 4x4
1 Posts
Hello all, I have searched for answers to this with no avail. I have a 2006 Commander Limited. When I accelerate the Front End Howls. It doesnt matter how fast i go its always there unless i let off the accelerator, the noise disappears completely. I have changed the drivers side Hub assembly thinking that was it. I also got new tires yesterday but that didnt change anything either. I have heard about changing the Pinion bearing but it really sounds like it is coming from the drivers side. Any suggestions?
Fan clutch mines doing it now, warm your jeep up and when it’s @ operating temp (shut it down) now grab the blades on your engine fan and wobble it it should not move but if it does that’s probably your culprit. Let me know also check your u-joint and drive lines check your differential fluids as well good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts