Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for suggestions on a front end noise.

The noise to me sounds like a CV going bad coming from the front and somewhat around the center of the truck. The noise does not occur in the first 5minutes or so of driving and progressively gets worse as I drive more. So I had a buddy install a drive shaft from Detroit axle. There seemed to be maybe a minor change in noise so possibly had two problems. Next I had a buddy replace the front diff mount as I read that can be cause of noise and the stock mount didn’t look too healthy, this had no change. Recently had the passenger side half shaft replaced and looking at doing the driver side next, unless someone has a good suggestion, really looking for any input.

It’s a 2007 with 165,000 miles. The noise is somewhere between a clicking and clunking noise and a bit metallic, and does not occur when cold, also does not change when turning. Seems to be loudest when off the throttle and gets quieter when gas applied.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was just reading a post by badPatrick that sounds very similar to what my Jeep is doing and people were suggesting diff bearings. I don’t know what a diff bearing sounds like going bad. If the diff is drained and the bearings are going out would metal debris come out with the oil? Any way to check the diff bearings without replacing them?

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

The noise to me sounds like a CV going bad coming from the front and somewhat around the center of the truck. The noise does not occur in the first 5minutes or so of driving and progressively gets worse as I drive more. So I had a buddy install a drive shaft from Detroit axle. There seemed to be maybe a minor change in noise so possibly had two problems. Next I had a buddy replace the front diff mount as I read that can be cause of noise and the stock mount didn’t look too healthy, this had no change. Recently had the passenger side half shaft replaced and looking at doing the driver side next, unless someone has a good suggestion, really looking for any input.

It’s a 2007 with 165,000 miles. The noise is somewhere between a clicking and clunking noise and a bit metallic, and does not occur when cold, also does not change when turning. Seems to be loudest when off the throttle and gets quieter when gas applied.

Thanks for any help
My first guess would be your upper front differential bushing - a common point of wear on Commanders & Grand Cherokees alike.

Do me a favor please & update your user profile.....

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/9-problems-dealer-service/announcements.html

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The upper front differential bushing has been replaced,there was no change.
I referred to it as a diff mount.

Thanks for your re,and will do.

·
Registered
480 Posts
What you're describing does sound like a binding CV. I've never heard of anyone replacing a front differential bearing, and typically a bearing noise would be more of a constant howl or whine than a regular clunking, since there isn't much movement even in a worn bearing. A failed inboard CV would cause a pretty regular clunk at low speeds, and the clunk would definitely speed up with wheel speed.

Draining your diff will definitely help narrow down your search though. Badly worn gears can also cause a clunk and will definitely show up in your oil.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Thanks for any help
I have this EXACT noise going on with mine. Sounds like mine is on the passenger side though. I've replaced the CV shaft and changed the wheel bearing last night, but the sound is still there. I've literally replaced everything else on the front end but the drivers side CV shaft, so it all has been checked! Ha.

I would like to think if it was driveline related, it would get worse with speed and be getting worse over time. Mine has been doing it for the last few months and the noise has not changed and I can get it to do it almost on demand at this point.

Really was hoping it was the wheel bearing, but now I'm just racking my brain trying to figure it out. You aren't alone!

·
Registered
132 Posts
metallic noise that changes during torque load sounds like typical Ujoint failure. Grab the driveshaft and twist a few rounds in each direction with the tires lifted, ideally without unloading the sus . You might feel the clicking of a bindup or dry bearing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You said you already have a new driveshaft installed- which driveshaft? Unless you did both, it could be the u-joints in the one you didn't replace. The front shaft is pretty much right under your seat, and could sound like the middle of the vehicle.

My experience with axle/driveline noise on other vehicles/jeeps is that CVs, unless totally destroyed, make the most noise when turning, or at least have a change when turning. You say nothing changes when turning, so I want to rule out the CVs.

Diff bearings and wheel bearings usually make different noises depending on acceleration or deceleration, or high load, coasting, cruising, turning (side load), etc. However, my experience with these issues was on solid axles, but i would assume the concept is the same. While I've yet to hear about diff issues specifically with the XKs here (unless offroaded really hard), that doesn't mean it can't happen. Also, these noises are more "whirring" or "growling", not really any clicking or clunking unless you have a broken tooth in the diff....which, i seriously doubt you have.

I had a front wheel bearing go out in one of my old XJs that sounds like what you're describing, but that was a solid axle with (i think) a type of ball bearing, so completely different than ours. It was very obvious where from exactly when i was driving with the windows down next to a wall or large, flat surface; like a concrete bridge barrier or highway divider.

Check out this page with descriptions of diff and driveline noises, pretty accurate: Diagnosing Differential Noise

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

my Commander had a clicking or rattling sound coming from the front. It was only heard under load even if just slightly toutched the accelerator i heard the noise. It was the front differential. I bought a differential from junkyard and it was silent afther the swap. There was no howling noise or something smiliar to the bearing noise just strange clicking.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine will only make the noise when I let off to coast or when I'm cruising at a constant speed. There is absolutely no noise whatsoever when under acceleration or braking. I've been working this problem heavily for a few weeks. I have checked my front driveshaft for excessive play, but found no issues that I could tell were causing the noise. I'm certain the noise is in the front end. It is a very intermittent popping noise and will only happen in a straight line while cruising. The noise hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just remembered that my old WJ was also making strange noise from the front. I drove it for a few days like this - cheked almost everthing. ALMOST everything, except the wheel lugs! Driver side wheel lugs were a bit loose and thats were the noise was coming!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just remembered that my old WJ was also making strange noise from the front. I drove it for a few days like this - cheked almost everthing. ALMOST everything, except the wheel lugs! Driver side wheel lugs were a bit loose and thats were the noise was coming!
that's kinda scary! coulda' turned out really bad!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Got under the old girl again today to triple (more like 4348759847) check everything.

Ended up pushing in and out on the drivers side CV axle and it actually had some play and a slight click on the inside joint. It's literally about the only part that isn't replaced on the front of mine. I did the same on the one I replaced on the passenger side and it didn't move or have any kind of noise. REALLY hoping it is the culprit because I'm sick of worrying about it!

I'm gonna order a replacement and hopefully have it swapped out within the next week or so. I'll get back with the results ASAP!

Definitely not what I would expect it to be since there isn't anything wrong with the boots and she doesn't get thrashed on. So, the OP may have been onto something with wanting to replace the driver side axle.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I checked mine out of curiosity this morning. I'm good to go lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
I got the drivers side axle and wheel bearing done yesterday. I also ended up doing the diff bushings because the top one was shot! That said, I do believe my noise is gone. I think that it was caused by the axle based on the noise it was making, but I also wonder if it had to do with that upper diff bushing. Drive shaft checked out. Wheel bearing was fine, just went ahead and changed it since I previously did the other side.

Hopefully the OP has figured his noise out! If not, hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I got the drivers side axle and wheel bearing done yesterday. I also ended up doing the diff bushings because the top one was shot! That said, I do believe my noise is gone. I think that it was caused by the axle based on the noise it was making, but I also wonder if it had to do with that upper diff bushing. Drive shaft checked out. Wheel bearing was fine, just went ahead and changed it since I previously did the other side.

Hopefully the OP has figured his noise out! If not, hope this helps.
My first post in this thread - 3rd post down;
Big Blue said:
My first guess would be your upper front differential bushing - a common point of wear on Commanders & Grand Cherokees alike.
I realize I said this to the OP & not you, but, that should almost always be the first thing that's checked when there's front end noise involved - particularly if you know or suspect it hasn't been replaced before.

Anyway, glad you got it all sorted out @Colt.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had actually checked them maybe 3-4 months ago, so it wasn't even on my mind! I just happened to push up on the diff and felt it move. I have literally replaced everything on the front of mine now, so I guess that means I should have peace of mind??? :laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I had actually checked them maybe 3-4 months ago, so it wasn't even on my mind! I just happened to push up on the diff and felt it move. I have literally replaced everything on the front of mine now, so I guess that means I should have peace of mind??? :laugh2:
Yes, you most definitely should.....less to worry about down the road too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts