Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a lot of popping/thumping/clunking noises coming from the front end. Not while steering but when the suspension flexes, as when going over bumps. The dealership said it was the "steering box" and wanted two, TWO grand to replace it.
I left in a hurry and neglected to ask if the mechanic meant the rack and pinion assembly and just called it the steering box. What do you guys think, would a bum rck and pinion cause the popping/clunking racket?

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Have you checked the bushings ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
IDK about the popping noise but swaybar bushings and or swaybar links is were I would start.. I believe they are the most common noise makers in our frontends.. There pretty cheap to replace..

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IDK about the popping noise but swaybar bushings and or swaybar links is were I would start.. I believe they are the most common noise makers in our frontends.. There pretty cheap to replace..
Hmm... Had those looked at already and, while they're the original ones (88k miles on them) they're not the culprit. Could it really be the rack and pinion? She steers fine, no pulling and no dead spots.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My bushings went south at 78K and that is normal.. The noise you speak of sounds like the bushings are gone to me.. Hitting bumps while driving and hearing noise points to swaybar bushings.. I could be completely wrong but If it were me, I would be changing the bushings because there cheap and your going to have to soon anyway and you may get lucky..

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sometimes the sway bar bushings look fine but are still the issue. Take them off and see if the noise goes away. If it does buy new ones.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sometimes the sway bar bushings look fine but are still the issue. Take them off and see if the noise goes away. If it does buy new ones.
Good idea. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back to...

my suspension guy and told him about the bushings advice. He jacked up the front end, removed the left tire, popped the tie-rod off and pushed and pulled on it. Sure enough, there was a clunking sound. Looks like its a new steering box for Large Marge. I'm getting new bushings put on anyways, but I won't be dodging the high-dollar bullet.
Thanks to you all who chimed in. I wish it had been the bushings alone. Cheers. Jorge

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts