Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Stock

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Probably has to do with the sway bar bushings, they tend to be the items people have the most problems with.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I believe the lift aggrivated the problem as the noise began to develop before the lift was installed. My wife's stock '08 is just starting to knock around a little at about 18K. Rwmorrisonjr - I think you're right, the stock front sway bar bushings are trash. And the link bushings from Superlift don't seem to be hanging in there real well either. I've though about replacing everything with polyurethane bushings from Energy Suspension but I don't know of a specific kit.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The pop'ing/clunk started with the XK in stock configuration. While the lift may not of helped the situation I think its a bushing issue due to corners cut and money saved.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
kmax, I'm also thinking about getting polyurethane bushings, need to look for a kit that'll also fit a 2005+ WK, they'll fit since they're shared parts with the XK.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have mine in at the dealer now for the 4th time for the same issue... I had the left sway bar bushing replaced first, clunking still there... took it back in, they replaced the front left strut, clunking still there, took it back, had them test drive it, they heard the sound, then said they replicated it on another Commander they test drove, so they said 'that's how they are'.

Took it to a different dealer today, they said there is something wrong with the actual sway bar, not just the bushing, and claim they have fixed it. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow...

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Klunk, Klunk

My 06 has made that noise since day 1. It is much more prevelant in the winter, just driving up the street to the grocery store. Any slight perturbation in the roadway, and you hear the klunk, usually from the left front, but the right klunks as well. I am fairly convinced it is the plastic bearings contracting when it is cold. I've just decided to live with it.

KKKKFL

·
Registered
23 Posts
ditto

as temperature goes down the klunk goes up.
dealers are jokes trying to fix it. They avoid it or say it's supposed to be like that. Been there, tried to get them to fix mine. Not even worth it. The more you fight it, how do you know they don't put sand in your engine when they're pissed off in the garage after you yell at them to fix it 5 times.

It's a flawed bushing matreial/design. They cost 12 bucks, I may just try to buy 10 of them and replace mine every 6 months.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I got my Jeep back this afternoon, and after almost 3 months of trying to get it fixed and remove the clunking, it's finally gone! I couldn't believe it... all the way home, I kept wincing, thinking the clunk would come back, but it isn't there anymore.

According to the worksheet from the dealer (I took it to a different dealer than the first attempts where they replaced the sway bar bushing and the left front strut) this is what they did.

1) Readjusted and tightened belly pan

2) Tightened cradle bolts

3) Installed 2x TSB dampners

Not 100% sure what all that is... being as the last dealership I took it to said that everything was as tight as it could be... yet not 2 weeks later, I had to have all these things tightened up... very odd.

I'll see how it does over the next few days, but I took it to some of my regular haunts tonight, listening if it was going to clunk and it didn't.

It just feels solid and composed, just like it should do. The major test will be going over the speed bump at work in the morning, that is where I notice it most.

·
Registered
32 Posts
can you guys explain what the clunking is.. my wife has a 06 commander with 41 thou.. when we hit certain bumps we get a clunk.. i was thinking something is loose or wheel bearing etc etc but it sounds like it could be something with these jeeps.. Just want to make sure the clunk sound i get in the front suspension is the same as what you guys are hearing.. its not a popping sounds or anything like that.. it sounds like someting is loose or something but I am pretty sure everything is tight up front.. I am going to have it looked at but if its something I can fix i would ratehr do that than give the dealer my money. Keep me posted.

·
Registered
282 Posts
X2 on an aftermarket bushing for the sway bar. Anyone have a source? I checked out Prothane a few weeks ago and nothing at that time...

Although from another thread where the oem part numbers were listed, the bushings do appear to have been revised. (I think they are now on rev 'H')

1 - 16 of 16 Posts