Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished installing my front hitch. I started out with designing it on Solidworks and ran a FE on it to make sure it was strong enough. My goal what 10,000lbs straight front load and 500lb tongue load. Does the front of the XK frame support a 500lb tongue load? Not sure. Will it support the 10,000lbs straight load, I think it will considering each tow hook is rated at 5000lb. The FE pics show the 500lb tongue load from another thread I posted on.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the finished hitch and my new heavier duty bolt bars. Grade 8 blots which are longer and thicker bolt bars that slide inside of the frame. These replace the parts that came with my tow hooks.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the bolt bars installed into the frame and all is ready to mount my hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the hitch and tow hooks back on the Jeep. Note I had to grind a bit of the rear of the tow hooks to clear a couple radiator bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Notching of the front bumper and the back in place. Note, I did have to trim back the center rib all the way off after fitting the bumper back on.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finished views, note how the hitch really doesn't affect the approach angle of the front. I did have to slot the license plate holder about a 1/4" to set it higher. However do note the hitch is angled up some in the front. I believe the frame of the Jeep angles up some and to level it all out I may put some shims under the front set of bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Excellent! Can this be modified to allow for a permanent winch location?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent! Can this be modified to allow for a permanent winch location?
I think it probably could. That is about 120lbs hanging out in front. I have a removable winch, receiver hitch set up and I ran cables to be able to use it front or back. I like the idea of not having it out there in the elements until I decide to use it.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Great job !

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Job well done!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Is this something that eventually go in production?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this something that eventually go in production?
I don't know if I could make a profit on it. What are people willing to pay?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Great job! Looks like a clean install.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Great work!

I had doubts about how much weight the front crossmember could handle as well, which is why I added an H shaped brace back to the motor cradle.

The half inch construction looks quite beefy and the overall design well thought out.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I want one!

Looks awsome, good job.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I want one!

Looks awsome, good job.
I would like to make these and sell them. However Curt has one that most people will probably buy instead.

http://sitepro12.sitepro.com/masterlibrary/31056/installsheet/CM_31056_INS.pdf

I do think the Curt sticks out too much and my guess is it really messes up the front approach angle of the Jeep. (take a look of the front picture in the link) I made mine to tuck up high so it doesn't mess with the approach angle, it is barely noticeable when not used, be bolt on (and it is truely a clean bolt on, take a look at the instructions for the Curt) and not to interfere much with radiator flow. I will try to post some pictures this weekend with the winch in place.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think I would personally prefer urs since you kept the tow hooks give us a price, you never know you might have more orders than you expected.

·
Registered
338 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts