Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front suspension makes a hollow pop or clunking sound. I know many on the forum have experienced the problem. I found out what mine is. One of the tie rods is bad. The dealership (Performance Dodge/Jeep) is replacing it under warranty. If you have this problem check your rack! (o)(o);)

·
Administrator
15,241 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Can someone post a pic of a tie rod?

I have the hollow clunk & have an apt for new bushings on Mon.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photo from kmax on another thread w/ labels added.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I have the same noise coming from the front of my Commander whenever i hit bumps. Do you think it is possible that i might need to replace those parts specified in the last few posts. I only have 9,000 miles on my commander and its an 07.

·
Registered
217 Posts
07JeepXK said:
I have the same noise coming from the front of my Commander whenever i hit bumps. Do you think it is possible that i might need to replace those parts specified in the last few posts. I only have 9,000 miles on my commander and its an 07.
It's very possible. I've been hearing that noise since aprx 2K miles.

·
Registered
251 Posts
For what it is worth I had my sway bar end links/bushings replaced a week or 2 ago and the noise is gone. I had the front popping noise since 2000 - 3000 miles. It took some work to get the dealer to do it but it is back to like new as far as the ride again.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Commander Ron said:
For what it is worth I had my sway bar end links/bushings replaced a week or 2 ago and the noise is gone. I had the front popping noise since 2000 - 3000 miles. It took some work to get the dealer to do it but it is back to like new as far as the ride again.
Good to hear.

Mine's in the shop as we speak ...err type... I hope my problem is solved as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
LuckyAx2 said:
couple questions...
When do you hear the noise? I hear something when I turn the steering wheel sometimes.

Did you run into any problems with the dealership due to the lift?

Thanks!
Not certain if this is directed at me.

I hear it when running over bumpy road, speed bumps, pot holes. The susp just does not sound tight. It's pretty sad when my wifes FX35 can handle rougher terrain than my "Trail Rated" Jeep.

The dealer installed the lift, so no issues from that direction.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a call from the dealer today and they said the racks are on backorder. This must be a bigger problem than I thought. Anyone else having their racks replaced?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks like I need to. I just had the bushings replaced and the clunk is still there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yanser said:
I got a call from the dealer today and they said the racks are on backorder. This must be a bigger problem than I thought. Anyone else having their racks replaced?
Same here! I'm also waiting on them!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I had the same issue with my RR-style lift, it went away when I had the Terraflex installed with new factory spacers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had the bushes replaced at the last service in November. The car was then off the road for 6 weeks. It was OK for the first 100 miles after that but has just started making the noise again. Modified?? bushes have been ordered for it today. Apparently they have a w profile instead of a v profile where they attach to the roll bar.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Shrek said:
I had the bushes replaced at the last service in November. The car was then off the road for 6 weeks. It was OK for the first 100 miles after that but has just started making the noise again. Modified?? bushes have been ordered for it today. Apparently they have a w profile instead of a v profile where they attach to the roll bar.
I had these modified bushes fitted today and it has really tightened up the feel of the front end. They were designed and fitted for the Grand Cherokee origionally. Anyone else had these fitted?? Will be interesting to see how long the bushes last.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have noticed a noise like that coming from my front end, but only on the street that comes to my hood, which is very bumpy.

I guess I will get that checked out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rack should be in on the week of the 20th (March). There were sixteen ordered and released by Chrysler. If you need yours replaced and it was back ordered then it should be here soon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finally got the steering replaced and the Commander is like new. On the highway it would float all over the road but no more. The front end doesn't rattle and the clunking sound is gone. They messed up the first install. When I picked the Commander up it had this odd rattling sound like someone put a marble inside the tire, they told me they had to shim up a bolt (?). Whatever. I picked it up again and all is well. The dealer gave me a ram quad cab with a full size bed as a loaner. I got a lot of mulch and even hauled a bunch of trash away.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can you guys clarify what the "rack" is your replacing (I am asuming its the steering but what part) and it obviously sounds like it is different from the sway bar end link bushings. I had the end links/bushings replaced and the problem was solved for a few weeks but is now back. I am also curious what the "modified bushings" are, part numbers would help, and are they to replace the end link bushings? Thank you for your help.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts