Jeep Commander Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Big Blue -

I would have to say that it is a good value, but I think the WAM is a better quality bumper overall.

It appears Jeepsteel is new to building for the Commander, and has been getting over some learning curves. I was one of the first to order from him and his first customer to fit the larger of the winches on the market.

I had some trouble fitting the WARN Zeon 12-S (a larger size winch) inside the hole in the bumper and I had to trim the hole larger; he has since changed his blueprint to accommodate this issue. The other problem I had was after testing the recovery points, the shackle plates bent from being pulled out of the snow/pulling others out; again, the manufacturer was responsive and sent out new shackle plates that are double the thickness as the original.

The only other (minor, nevertheless existing) gripes I have is the paint appeared to still be wet when it was wrapped up for shipping so there was some funny looking paint I had to touch up, and second, the pallet for shipping was smaller than the width of the bumper and the corners were packed w nothing but bubble wrap, and consequently the corners took a beating on the freight truck. The manufacturer did not offer to make any concessions, which was IMO unfortunate.

With that being said, I still think the Jeepsteel bumper is the best value out there for our rigs, but WAM appears to be better quality overall but is about 1.5-2 times the price (based on comments and further research/correspondence with owners of both brands).
That was one thing about the JeepSteel bumper that jumped out at me when I looked at yours Pablo was how they chose to go about mounting the recovery points/shackles. I thought that might be an issue - and you confirmed that it definitely could be. That being said, I had my criticisms of WAM as well, which I documented here;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forum...om-bumpers-follow-up-review-1-year-later.html

All in all though, I'd say WAM might use a heavier gauge of steel and the overall build quality is probably a little more durable than the JeepSteel bumper; but then you have to take into consideration the price difference as well. Thanks for sharing your insight.

Reactions: pablo618

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Big Blue -

I would have to say that it is a good value, but I think the WAM is a better quality bumper overall.

It appears Jeepsteel is new to building for the Commander, and has been getting over some learning curves. I was one of the first to order from him and his first customer to fit the larger of the winches on the market.

I had some trouble fitting the WARN Zeon 12-S (a larger size winch) inside the hole in the bumper and I had to trim the hole larger; he has since changed his blueprint to accommodate this issue. The other problem I had was after testing the recovery points, the shackle plates bent from being pulled out of the snow/pulling others out; again, the manufacturer was responsive and sent out new shackle plates that are double the thickness as the original.

The only other (minor, nevertheless existing) gripes I have is the paint appeared to still be wet when it was wrapped up for shipping so there was some funny looking paint I had to touch up, and second, the pallet for shipping was smaller than the width of the bumper and the corners were packed w nothing but bubble wrap, and consequently the corners took a beating on the freight truck. The manufacturer did not offer to make any concessions, which was IMO unfortunate.

With that being said, I still think the Jeepsteel bumper is the best value out there for our rigs, but WAM appears to be better quality overall but is about 1.5-2 times the price (based on comments and further research/correspondence with owners of both brands).
That would explain why he now welds all his shackle plates as standard. I was also thinking after I get this installed, that I would remove and have it stripped and powder coated, that would be very nice. Thank you for sharing your install.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Big Blue -

Hey! I know you!! Haha!

JS and Move bumpers use pretty much the same steel grade. I'm still buying your bumper haha

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
I wish price was the the same! Those bumpers now are running around 1000 to 1050.
@JARB;

Seems like JeepSteel's prices have went way up from what they were - $950 now for their baseline bumper;

WAM's baseline winch front bumper is still fairly cheap in comparison - only $725.00

·
Registered
245 Posts
There's a few things to account for with both brand's bumpers in regards to pricing, no regards to build quality, though:

The JeepSteel price is a "finished" product that's painted and has holes for the lights, shackle mounts and winch ready. Furthermore, their price INCLUDES shipping, WAM's does not. That would easily be over $100 more. So for $950, you got a finished, ready bumper at your door.
They also offer 20% discounts fairly often (from their Facebook page), usually on national holidays like July 4 and Christmas/New Years. And I think they have a Commander special if you buy a front and rear bumper together. That's $760 shipped.....

The WAM baseline wincher doesn't seem to be finished with a paint or sealer (I could be wrong on this part), which will cost an extra $100-140, doesn't have shackle mounts ($50), and doesn't have holes for lights ($75). It also has an extra $25 "Bumper in winch" option, but I'm not sure exactly what that is considering this is already supposed to be a "wincher" bumper. So, assuming that base price ISN'T painted and disreguarding the "bumper in winch" option....$990 for a black with the same standard JS features....and you still gotta pay shipping. So, lets say $150 shipped.....$1140 for the same bumper. (again, not taking into account build quality).

IF WAM's is painted at baseline, that's still $1000 vs JeepSteel's $950 or $760 with the discount.....🤷‍♂️
I could still be off on WAM's options and what all is included at baseline, but I think the free shipping and that discount with JS is enough to really level the price comparison...

Reactions: JARB

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
There's a few things to account for with both brand's bumpers in regards to pricing, no regards to build quality, though:

The JeepSteel price is a "finished" product that's painted and has holes for the lights, shackle mounts and winch ready. Furthermore, their price INCLUDES shipping, WAM's does not. That would easily be over $100 more. So for $950, you got a finished, ready bumper at your door.
They also offer 20% discounts fairly often (from their Facebook page), usually on national holidays like July 4 and Christmas/New Years. And I think they have a Commander special if you buy a front and rear bumper together. That's $760 shipped.....

The WAM baseline wincher doesn't seem to be finished with a paint or sealer (I could be wrong on this part), which will cost an extra $100-140, doesn't have shackle mounts ($50), and doesn't have holes for lights ($75). It also has an extra $25 "Bumper in winch" option, but I'm not sure exactly what that is considering this is already supposed to be a "wincher" bumper. So, assuming that base price ISN'T painted and disreguarding the "bumper in winch" option....$990 for a black with the same standard JS features....and you still gotta pay shipping. So, lets say $150 shipped.....$1140 for the same bumper. (again, not taking into account build quality).

IF WAM's is painted at baseline, that's still $1000 vs JeepSteel's $950 or $760 with the discount.....🤷‍♂️
I could still be off on WAM's options and what all is included at baseline, but I think the free shipping and that discount with JS is enough to really level the price comparison...
I honestly don't know if WAM's baseline bumper includes paint or not.

I would think it should - but, maybe not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ya, I just went with the assumption that if something was offered as a customized option, then that option isn't included in the baseline; like paint, holes for lights, extra guards, mounts, etc....I know a quick phone call would set all this straight, but I'm not in the market for a bumper, lol......so I'm just purely using the info on the websites...:coffee:

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Ya, I just went with the assumption that if something was offered as a customized option, then that option isn't included in the baseline; like paint, holes for lights, extra guards, mounts, etc....I know a quick phone call would set all this straight, but I'm not in the market for a bumper, lol......so I'm just purely using the info on the websites...:coffee:
I 'd have to agree with your assumptions @Wombler, makes sense to me;

I know when I bought my bumper at WAM, they literally charged me extra, for every option I added.

Money well spent though, in my opinion. Steel bumpers do require some maintenance though, I've repainted mine twice already, in 2 yrs time.

First time was a complete repaint, with a higher quality black bedliner paint.

2nd repaint was just a touch-up here & there, about a year ago.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I 'd have to agree with your assumptions @Wombler, makes sense to me;

I know when I bought my bumper at WAM, they literally charged me extra, for every option I added.

Money well spent though, in my opinion. Steel bumpers do require some maintenance though, I've repainted mine twice already, in 2 yrs time.

First time was a complete repaint, with a higher quality black bedliner paint.

2nd repaint was just a touch-up here & there, about a year ago.
Ugh...i was afraid of the maintenance like that for a steel bumper. The bedliner seemed like a better option to me vs paint. Easier to touch-up and have them still look decent, too. Most of the bumpers offered for the wranglers and other more popular jeeps seem to always be some form of bedliner so there must be a reason behind it, lol.

·
Super Moderator
6,931 Posts
Ugh...i was afraid of the maintenance like that for a steel bumper. The bedliner seemed like a better option to me vs paint. Easier to touch-up and have them still look decent, too. Most of the bumpers offered for the wranglers and other more popular jeeps seem to always be some form of bedliner so there must be a reason behind it, lol.
Bedliner is a nice option - as long as it's a good quality paint; Cheaper bedliner paints, where the granules are smaller, don't seem to hold up as well.

From what I understand, a lot of paint shops are using Rhino-liner - which I believe is another manufacturer of bedliner finish, as undercoating on vehicles now.

It seems lacquer based undercoatings, are a thing of the past now - or so I've been told.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts