Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I just picked up a new 2010 commander sport, and I'm req'd to have front license plates in OH. It came with the front OEM bracket (black plastic frame with 5 or so screws)...when I went to install it, I noticed 3 very small 'dimples' on the front bumper, but was just wondering if I can simply drill these screws in the front bumper? I wasn't sure if I needed to insert some sort of small foam padding, similar to the rear license plate but figure I'd ask before I do 'unnecessary' damage!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Typically, they use "self-tapping" screws, which are screws with a rather course thread that also has a tip that will "bite" in and start a hole without having to drill a hole. They are just screwed into the plastic bumper cover where the dimples are located. The other screws hold the plate onto the bracket.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
I just used regular screws with out pre-drilling

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Hi all - I just picked up a new 2010 commander sport, and I'm req'd to have front license plates in OH. It came with the front OEM bracket (black plastic frame with 5 or so screws)...when I went to install it, I noticed 3 very small 'dimples' on the front bumper, but was just wondering if I can simply drill these screws in the front bumper? I wasn't sure if I needed to insert some sort of small foam padding, similar to the rear license plate but figure I'd ask before I do 'unnecessary' damage!

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Why not get creative and make a bracket to mount the plate under the bumper cover, bolting a L shaped mounting bracket from the bottom up.
Hate to see that purdy cover full of holes to hold that ugly ole plate mount on.

My opinion anyways.....yes the dimples are the pilot spots,

Rob

·
Registered
248 Posts
Front plates are required here in Illinois but unless you get pulled over for something else I'll probably never get a ticket for not having them on. I've been driving here for years without one and haven't had any problems. It's a fix-it- ticket so all I'd have to do is put the plate on, prove that it's on, then the ticket is dismissed. I'd rather keep my front end looking sexy than have to have the plates on. I actually bought 3 trim plugs and some OEM paint and am going to make some cheap bumper plugs to hide the holes.

·
Registered
343 Posts
See I have the opposite problem. The vehicle I'm buying allready has a front plate, Michigan does not require a front plate. So I'm trying to figure out what to put there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
See I have the opposite problem. The vehicle I'm buying already has a front plate, Michigan does not require a front plate. So I'm trying to figure out what to put there.
Yeah I just unscrewed it and took the frame and plate off. You could buy real bumper plugs from http://bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html but you have to buy in pairs, so you'd have to buy 4, not 3. They're expensive from them though. I bought a pair from them for my last car and they're super nice, but it's just a Jeep.

I just bought a pack of 3 black small plastic plugs from Autozone for like 85 cents and OEM touch up paint from eBay for $12 and will paint my own and will still have the touch up paint leftover for the rest of the truck.

·
Administrator
15,249 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ill most likeley just podwer coat some screws white and put them in there.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Blasphemy !
Ha, true. I just meant I'm not as worried about how things look on my Jeep as much as I was with my CTS Sport I had before it. I'd rather have mud covering my Jeep than have it crystal clean and perfect looking.

·
2,248 Posts
I think that you should just tear off the front bumper, get a metal bumper made up with D rings, a place to mount a winch and lights so that you can get one of these folding steps as a solution to mounting your front license plate......

Now Bubba....that is a license plate mount.....simple solution....not much more that a couple thousand dollars

1 - 11 of 11 Posts