Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to mount a surf-fishing basket to the front of my XK, thinking of running some square steel pipe from the tow hook mounts to do so... anyone done something like this yet?

have a basket similar to this

·
Registered
87 Posts
make sure you properly calculate the weight and moment of the load vs. the mounting points. in simplest terms... think of the fat kid and the skinny kid on the teeter totter. while a tow/recovery point may be strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle on a pull, that is matter of sheer strength. a load that sits out that far will be weight at a downward angle. without some way of triangulating the load it becomes "unsprung weight" and will be reliant solely on the tow points on a sub frame. the load will bounce and oscilate as you drive.

you have a TJ in the picture with the rack and that has a 2x4" fully boxed frame & it also has 4 mounting points across the top of the frame to better support the weight across a distance of about 8".

if you had your heart set on a basket of this sort, i would recommend finding a way to install a DOT approved front receiver hitch that will properly bear the weight, or contact a local fabrication company with a good reputation that can build something specificaly for your application.

·
2,248 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing, a front mounted receiver hitch. You might even consider using the back hitch to get to the beach and then swapping it to the front.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I made one that attaches to my reciever rack in back.A piece of plate steel with tubes for the rods. Its a bolt on piece so I can use the rack by itself. I will get some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I like the idea of using the tow hook mount points. If you have the proper brackets you could get two pieces of receiver tubing. Using some grade 8 hardware bolt them in place of the hooks. Then you can buy a basket or tray and just bolt some hitch tubing onto it and be good to go. Then you will essentially have two front hitch mounts that should hold almost anything you can fit on the rack. As a bonus you can get a couple hitch mounted hooks or d-rings to use when the rack is off.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats exactly what I was thinking adamag...i dont like the idea of cutting out or depending on the welds to the front of the frame and cutting the body, etc for a front hitch mount nor do I have and aftermarket bumper...figured I would use all grade 8 hardware...and then use the tubes when not holding the basket for D-Rings or hooks.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
thats exactly what I was thinking adamag...i dont like the idea of cutting out or depending on the welds to the front of the frame and cutting the body, etc for a front hitch mount nor do I have and aftermarket bumper...figured I would use all grade 8 hardware...and then use the tubes when not holding the basket for D-Rings or hooks.
That sounds like you and I are on the same page for the basket idea but it is a good idea to get the brackets for the tow hooks that go into the "frame" if you don't already have them. They help support the front hook mounts from the inside.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I love that look!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thnk I could get them from the dealer?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Thnk I could get them from the dealer?
You will probably have to get them with the hooks and all but there are probably cheaper ones out there on the net than the price you will get from the local dealer. Either way the mopar ones are pretty much your only option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts