Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 5' 1", my girlfriend can barely see over the dash from the front passenger seat of my 2009 Commander Limited. Is there a SAFE way to increase the seat height, or even add a power adjustable seat?

She has already vetoed both the "Phone book" and "new girlfriend" solutions.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
Child's booster seat ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think she'd veto that one too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
...Is there a SAFE way to increase the seat height, or even add a power adjustable seat?
I've not crawled under the Commander seats yet, but on my TJ I installed seat risers similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-06-Jeep-TJ-Wrangler-Rough-Country-Seat-Riser-Lift-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588452ecb6QQitemZ380177149110QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The kit I used had metal risers, ran about $60 if I recall correctly. On the TJ the seats do not have to come completely out of the vehicle; unbolting the stock bolts, tilting the seats to get the risers underneath, then using the new grade 8 bolts to secure everything back worked pretty well. Rock solid.

HTH

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks FmrVette,

That's exactly what I was looking for, which in turn lead me to find this kit:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/jeep-parts-list.aspx?plID=1167

I found some other forums that described using hockey pucks, but I think I'd prefer the security of the solid aluminum blocks. I also think my girlfriend would prefer it to the booster seat idea!

A2

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks FmrVette,

That's exactly what I was looking for, which in turn lead me to find this kit:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/jeep-parts-list.aspx?plID=1167

I found some other forums that described using hockey pucks, but I think I'd prefer the security of the solid aluminum blocks. I also think my girlfriend would prefer it to the booster seat idea!

A2
Yep, that's the set. A lot of the TJ owners use the hockey pucks (figuring the grade 8 bolts are the important piece of the gear to hold things in case of a wreck. I went with the metal ones - probably psychological, but I just felt better about it. Although I've never heard of a hockey puck breaking...
anyhow, I'm glad I was able to help a bit.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If anyone is still interested...

I purchased and installed the following Seat Riser blocks:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=BPMSR15&jeep-parts=true

Because this kit was for the TJ, I did have to go to my local hardware store and buy some grade-8 flange nuts. I installed the blocks on both front seats which also gave me a better vertical range on the driver seat. Air-Bag function should not be affected because the Commander's Air-Bags are controlled by seat bladder and not pucks.

The end result is that even the tallest of my friends find the increased height more comfortable without jeopardizing headroom clearance.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
A2JetGuy, do you have power driver seats? I was thinking of only doing the passenger seat because my driver seat has power seats.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A2JetGuy, do you have power driver seats? I was thinking of only doing the passenger seat because my driver seat has power seats.
I have a Limited that has power seats on both sides, however, the passenger seat does not power up/down, only forward/back and recline. My driver seat powers up/down, forward/back and recline. I imagine Jeep did not provide power up/down on the passenger side was because of the extra manufacturing costs.

I installed these 1.5" blocks between the seat frame (which bolts directly to the chassis) and the seat track (on which the seat moves forward/back). On the passenger seat, there were four round, 0.5" high blocks which I eliminated which netted a 1" seat height increase. The driver seat did not have the 0.5" round blocks.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thanks, A2JetGuy. Very good find, by the way.

I have the same power seat configuration you have. I'm going to get the same kit and try just the passenger seat first and will try it with both the 1/2" existing block and the 1 1/2" block and see if it is too high.

I don't often sit in the passenger side, but my 6'3" son does and it is not comfortable to sit so low. Last weekend, we drove about 1000 miles and he drove about half of it, so now I'm movitated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, A2JetGuy. Very good find, by the way.

I have the same power seat configuration you have. I'm going to get the same kit and try just the passenger seat first and will try it with both the 1/2" existing block and the 1 1/2" block and see if it is too high.

I don't often sit in the passenger side, but my 6'3" son does and it is not comfortable to sit so low. Last weekend, we drove about 1000 miles and he drove about half of it, so now I'm movitated.
Two concerns I had about stacking both the 0.5" stock block and the 1.5" after-market block:
1. Stability and Security in an accident. I didn't want to create an additional weak point.
2. The bolts provided with the kit will not be long enough. You will have to buy all new bolts, and Grade-8's are about $4 apiece.

Nuts do not come with the kit. I suppose since the kit is designed for the Wrangler, that vehicle must use threaded mounts rather than nuts. Regardless you will need Grade-8 flange nuts.

One other point, two of the eight blocks have a slightly larger hole and therefore two of the eight bolts have a slightly larger diameter. Again, this must be a Wrangler thing. Take everything to the hardware store with you to make sure you get the right size and number of nuts. I discovered this after the first trip to the store.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I installed these 1.5" blocks between the seat frame (which bolts directly to the chassis) and the seat track (on which the seat moves forward/back). On the passenger seat, there were four round, 0.5" high blocks which I eliminated which netted a 1" seat height increase. The driver seat did not have the 0.5" round blocks.
How does it look? Pics? I would love to lift the passenger seat a little bit, but worry that the plastic trim would look odd floating an inch above the floor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does it look? Pics? I would love to lift the passenger seat a little bit, but worry that the plastic trim would look odd floating an inch above the floor.
It looks Great!

I'll get some pictures later today and try to have them posted by tonight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, Kansas,

The plastic trim is mounted on the seat frame which is mounted on the chassis, therefore it doesn't get lifted and remains where it is. Think suspension lift versus body lift.

The pictures will show it much better.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Two concerns I had about stacking both the 0.5" stock block and the 1.5" after-market block:
1. Stability and Security in an accident. I didn't want to create an additional weak point.
2. The bolts provided with the kit will not be long enough. You will have to buy all new bolts, and Grade-8's are about $4 apiece.

Nuts do not come with the kit. I suppose since the kit is designed for the Wrangler, that vehicle must use threaded mounts rather than nuts. Regardless you will need Grade-8 flange nuts.

One other point, two of the eight blocks have a slightly larger hole and therefore two of the eight bolts have a slightly larger diameter. Again, this must be a Wrangler thing. Take everything to the hardware store with you to make sure you get the right size and number of nuts. I discovered this after the first trip to the store.
OK, thanks for the tips. I might do the same as you on the passenger seat. Does it matter which bolt/hole size you use on driver or passenger seat? Looking forward to pics too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, thanks for the tips. I might do the same as you on the passenger seat. Does it matter which bolt/hole size you use on driver or passenger seat? Looking forward to pics too.
The larger bolt will fit any of the eight locations (4 driver, 4 passenger), so for symmetry I put the larger bolt on the rear/outside location of each seat. I could have put them anywhere. If you plan to only modify the passenger seat, you may want to use both larger bolts on that side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's the pictures.

You can see on the first picture (forward, inboard, driver side) that not only do I need to vacuum under my seat, but also the position of the block between the seat frame and the seat track. You will have to loosen or remove some of the seat frame bolts to access the nut for the new block's bolt. The seat frame bolts are threaded directly to the floor, so don't worry about accessing any bolts underneath. I re-torqued these bolts to 55Ft.lbs.

The second picture (forward, outboard, driver side) shows that the plastic trim near the floor stays exactly the same height. It does, however, create a bit of a gap between it and the trim on the side of the seat (note my Meguiar's under the seat). This gap is really only visible from that level and is not very apparent while standing.

I hope all this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Yes, the pics help. I ordered my set. I'll post up when I get them installed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts