Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

My right front outer CV boot is torn. I want to just replace the boot. Can I remove the outer CV joint? From the information I am seeing, I need to take the inner boot and joint off and slide the new outer boot from that side?

Thanks,
Rich

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,785 Posts
Rich see this RF CV boot leaking

Also the forum has changed over the years so please do the following.
Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To make a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

·
Registered
48 Posts
My advice would be do the whole axle, when you get the point of where you would just do the boot, you are just a pry bar and hammer hit away from removing the whole thing. And the cv axles are not expensive. Also if your boot is torn, the inner boot is also just as old and worn and won’t last much longer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you've never attempted this before, I suggest to not do it. Buy the whole axle and replace.

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I really just want to replace the boot. I have the tools and I have done CV Joints/Boots before. I have had rotten luck with aftermarket axles on another vehicle and I am too cheap to buy a Mopar axle just for the boot. Besides, the money I save helps justify the NTAF (New Tool Allowance Fund) to my wife :)

I have already replaced the Differential Bushings, Front Driveshaft CV Joint, Front Wheel Hub, etc... The other boots look fine. The only reason I need to replace this outer one is that I might have "grazed" it with the hammer whilst removing a stubborn Wheel Hub.

I plan to take the axle out to replace the CV Boot anyway, I just need to know if the outer CV Joint is removable or do I need to get bands for the inner CV Boot that will need to be removed to accommodate removal of the inner CV Joint to accommodate slipping in the new outer boot. In other words, can I remove the outer CV Joint or do I need to take the inner boot and joint off and slide the new outer boot in from that side?

Thanks again!!

Rich

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
354 Posts
i'd pick up the bands just to have them and return them if not used. mabye even an inner boot if you have any luck like mine!

·
Registered
2008 Commander Limited; 4.7L V-8; QT-II 4WD; 170,000 Miles
8 Posts
yes you can do just the boot. lots of videos on that. if 150K miles or more, get a replacement, but you can do it easily. need snap ring pliers for job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts