Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know about anyone else but I find the front seats in my 2006 XK uncomfortable after an hour or so and was thinking of fitting the fronts from an SRT-8 Grand (or even a WJ!!). Has anyone else done this?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Really, I love the seats in my Jeep. Maybe yours are worn out or something. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'2" around 260 and have never had a problem. The day I bought my Jeep, I drove 16 hours stright through and give the seats big credit, no back pain at all. Everday, I drive hour to and hour home from school and just sink into the seats. Thats the first thing everyone says to me when the jump in my Jeep, damn this things cumfy.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I like the seats as well. I have a Limited with leather. The passenger seat is low and I bought blocks to raise it up and inch but haven't installed them yet.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Me too, I think the seats are very comfortable. I've been very happy with all seats that I've had in the Jeeps that I have owned so far ('97 GC, '02 GC, '07 GC, '07 Patriot & '07 Commander).
My dad is very picky if it comes to car seats. He got a Recaro seat installed in his VW Caddy (which he drives for work). He too was very pleased with the seats in the Commander and he just drove my car from Arizona to Georgia without any complaints.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm 50/50 with my seat. Sometimes I'm comfortable in it, and sometimes my back and butt hurt after an hour drive. I can't figure out if it's me or the seat, but never had any issues with my previouse car (VW Jetta) seat.

I like the seats as well. I have a Limited with leather. The passenger seat is low and I bought blocks to raise it up and inch but haven't installed them yet.
Can you specify on said blocks? Do you need longer bolts as well?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
No complaints about the seats from me or my passengers.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I will agree the seats are not too comfortable. The seat to too deep. My right
leg goes numb after a while. Pressure on the back of the leg from the seat.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
No complaints here. I have power seats. The drivers seat is all the way up and all the way back. I bump the rear tilt 2x's, and set the recline to a slight angle. The lumbar is about 25%. Pedals set so my foot rests on the gas - I don't have to stretch. I have 2 fusions in my neck with a steel plate and 6 screws holding everything together. Numerous trips to Long Island (16 hr) with no problems. The SRT8 seats would be awesome, though. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think the seats are ok. The most comforable I have ever owned were the leather bucket seats in a 2000 Camaro. THOSE were the most comfortable seats ever and they didn't even have any electronic adjustments. My raised Jeep doesn't help either. I get tossed around a lot and I think that's why it gets uncomfortable after awhile.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a limited with leather. I am 6'2" and about 190. The problem is I find the seat digs into my butt and I have to move all the time. Also in comparison with the WJ ,which is by far and away the most comfortable car I have ever driven, there is no lateral support which means you have to hold yourself upright the entire time. Interestingly I dont have this problem in the sport version which has cloth seats that you tend to sink into. Anyway has anyone put SRT seats in a Commander?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPintheMitten
Can you specify on said blocks? Do you need longer bolts as well?
I'll see if I can find where I bought them. There's a thread here on it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. I think I will need longer bolts but they did come with bolts. I think they were for a Wrangler.

Edit: Here's the thread about the passenger seat lift. There's a link to the blocks that I bought.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12801&highlight=seat+lift

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wish they provided more side-to-side support like my Wrangler, but other than that I love the seats.

·
1,993 Posts
My wife on our first trip was measurable in the passenger seat she kept complaining for hours how my seat stunk. Then she said her back was killing her she couldn't take it anymore. Then I pointed out the lumbar support and laughed at her for a while but it solved her issues. She was fine the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I will agree the seats are not too comfortable. The seat to too deep. My right
leg goes numb after a while. Pressure on the back of the leg from the seat.
Exactly same issue here.
I am very tall so filling up the seat with a pillow is not an option. So I was thinking two alternatives:
1) Have an upholstery shop take off the foam from the "edges"
2) Have them fill up the seat to be level and find a way to further lower the mechanical part so the final butt height will not change

·
Registered
809 Posts
Personally I think the seats have a fine contour, but are just not very plush. When I reupholstered them I considered adding a layer of memory foam, but because of the seat warmers decided not to. I still think it would add quite a bit of comfort (especially for the price), and if the seat warmers ever give out I will probably give it a shot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Today I went to see this shop:
http://www.autointeriors.biz/About_AutoMat/About_AutoMat.html

And set up an appointment for next week. They will take out some of the padding from the edges and make the seat surface more flat. They could add extra padding but I'm too tall and don't want to raise it higher. Will keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had it done this week... cost me $380....plus tax.... not sure I got ripped off or really this much work went into it.
They cut out the side bolsters and pushed down the leather upholstery to make it look seamless. It's basically as flat as it gets. It is MUCH better.
But it's not perfect either, because the way the stitching is laid out, you have to sit on the sewing anyway and I can definitely feel that. But it's really better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts