Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a new one for all. this is the side panel for the front seat, driver side. It is attached by two screws on the side of the frame, and a screw on the back of the frame. As in the picture, the mounting tabs on the side are broken. This is the second time i have replaced the driver side panel, because of getting out, and i have to slide my butt along the bolster, as does my wife, and it puts pressure on the mounting tabs. The passenger side, i discovered tonight is broken also, in the same manner. The forward screw on the passenger side also broke, due to leverage being placed upon it. Soooooo, any one else have this and if so, repairs?

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can fix this from the inside by taking super glue and while holding the broken parts against the area where they were broken off from on the inside run a bead of super glue along the crack - then while the bead of glue is still wet, sprinkle baking soda on top of the wet glue. This will form an instantaneous bead of hardened glue. It is very very strong. As you get the broken parts re-attached you can use the super glue and baking soda to build up and reinforce the broken parts. The built up glue can be sanded and drilled if needed. It is a very strong method of fixing broken plastic like this. I use this method to repair plastic side covers and fairings on my racing motorcycles.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broke

You can fix this from the inside by taking super glue and while holding the broken parts against the area where they were broken off from on the inside run a bead of super glue along the crack - then while the bead of glue is still wet, sprinkle baking soda on top of the wet glue. This will form an instantaneous bead of hardened glue. It is very very strong. As you get the broken parts re-attached you can use the super glue and baking soda to build up and reinforce the broken parts. The built up glue can be sanded and drilled if needed. It is a very strong method of fixing broken plastic like this. I use this method to repair plastic side covers and fairings on my racing motorcycles.
Thanks. I guess i worded my statement wrong. I was looking to prevent it from happening again with new pieces.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Mine had that happen a few years back, I used a plastic tie wrap around something near the broken section, Been fine since, probably allows some flex.

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I went and took a picture of my fix using a tie wrap. This is the front of the seat looking up from the floor in front of the seat. I drilled a small hole to put the tie through. As I said I did this over 3 years ago. It is loosely tied around a wire bundle and so far no problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
side panel

Where can I get a replacement panel? Any idea the part number?
dealer can order them, or http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=863462&ukey_make=1097&ukey_model=15924&ukey_category=22699&searchString=Driver seat panel or http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=1064&ukey_model=15527&ukey_trimlevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&modelYear=&ukey_category=0&ukey_driveline=0&isOnSale=0&searchTerm= will need your VIN to get correct color match. If you have a few Jeep dealers close by, get price quotes from them. I had $20 difference tween two of them.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went and took a picture of my fix using a tie wrap. This is the front of the seat looking up from the floor in front of the seat. I drilled a small hole to put the tie through. As I said I did this over 3 years ago. It is loosely tied around a wire bundle and so far no problems.

no picture? :icon_confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I think i may look into that idea for the passenger side. It is broken already, so i really have nothing to loose. I was thinking almost of a rubber band or a small spring to pull it back against the seat frame . I looked on-line, and it is the same part number for the Grand Cherokee, and I wonder if that seat has the same problem, with it breaking, or is it just cause the Commander sits higher stock? Mine is not modified at all. I am a bit short on the inseam , as is my wife.
:icon_confused:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts