Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

it's a while since i'm not posting nothing here because recently i'm using my commander less and less due to my job.

Recently i realized a very annoying squeaking coming from the front side of the vehicle especially when i'm driving on unpaved road.

I'm pretty sure it's the front sway bar bushing so i try to spray some grease hoping to diminish the noise but there was any improvements.

How many km should pass between one replacement and the other? consider than i only use my jeep in the city and i almost never drive off-road.

There is any way to stop this annoying squeaking without replace the sway bar bushing?

Thanks in advance to everybody

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you notice a squeak associated with suspension travel, you need to inspect the entire suspension and fix what ever you find wrong. The sway bar bushings are a common one on the Commander.

Change interval on sway bar bushings, check your O.M., but I'll save you the trouble there is NOT one, I seem to remember an interval to inspect the suspension though, and then replace anything you find worn out.

The sway bar bushings are not designed to allow the sway bar rotate within them, the bushing should flex and twist with the bar. If the sway bar bushing has worn away, it will allow the bar to rotate within it and could make noise. Lubricating it will just cause it to rotate easier and maybe make the noise worse.

The cure, if it is the sway bar bushings, is too get new ones and replace them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i guess the only way is to change the sway bar bushing.

Which other component i should inspect related to the suspension? Do you have suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Inspect all of it, likely doing a push and pull and see if can find any free play between the joints, there should be none. Look at rubber bushings and see if they show signs of wear, falling apart, etc. Look for signs of leaking oil from the shocks.

Shocks now a days, since they are so much higher quality than decades ago, are really difficult to tell if they are worn to the point of being dangerous. You kinda have to judge that yourself on road response and change the shocks before it is dangerous. If you've got more than 100k miles, likely you will benefit from new shocks. Since the front shocks on the Commander are more like strut units, they are difficult to change.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deal all,

finally yesterday i took back my jeep from the dealer (not a jeep dealer but a generic one) after he changed me the front sway bar bushing due to a terrible squeaking noise.

I was surprised that the noise disappeared but after a few miles the noise came back. Now it's exactly the same as before, any suggestion about what else can provoke a squeaking noise meanwhile you brake or you go at 3 mile per hour on an uneven road???

Thanks a lot in advance!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
You might want to replace the swaybar end links those are easy to do and also make a big difference.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? where i can find it? you ha a part number to give me? It would amazing!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Today i realized that probably the annoying squeaking i hear coming from the front passenger side is not related with the sway bar bush.

Take a look at this video with the audio on and tell what you guys think about it...

https://youtu.be/7F0EFdT6Suo

thanks a lot

·
Registered
405 Posts
That kind of sounds like the bolts on your UCA are loose, did you install your lift or did you have someone install the lift for you? If you did they might not have tighten the bolts all the way causing this, I am telling you because that happened to me when I had one of my UCA replaced the shot did not tighten the rear bolt and it would squeak really bad when turning or stopping, so I figured it was a defected UCA and replaced it my self, only to find that when unscrewing the rear bold it was really loose. I still replaced the UCA and tighten the bolts this fixed the issue. Here is the part number for the end links: Moog K80468 Sway Bar Link Kit you can find them in amazon.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok in italy the entire low arm for my jeep is 390 Euro each. Considering that i dont wanna change it all but just the bush, can someone be so kind to tell me the part number of the low arm bush??

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
554 Posts
Why dont you spray silicone spray on the bolt and bushings, one at a time, and identify which one is bad. The noise could also be coming from the strut spring isolaters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts