Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my JC for 3 weeks with 20,000 miles. Our first snowfall in Chicago area with 12 inches of snow last fri and driving over patches of snow and ice I'm hearing suspension popping noises. Shouldn't the suspension be stiff enough to have a firm suspension going over bumps?

Wanted to know if there's something wrong with JC's suspension. If anyone has the same problem, please let me know. Do I have to bring it in to the shop to have them look at it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Mine does that as well... I live just south of Chicago. My 2003 Tahoe suspension popped as well. Sometimes when I am turning into my driveway which is on an incline it does it as well if I am carrying speed. I guess it must be our wonderful roads in Illinois as well as right now the chunks of snow on the roads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have heard this as well. Seems louder the colder it is. Dealer checked it over the summer and found no problems. My gut says it's bushing related.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Common sense would seem to tell you that popping noise = friction, friction = wear and tear, wear and tear = early repair bill. I believe that I would insist that the dealer tell me something or show me in the manual where the popping noise is an added feature!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine is doing it also around 5000 miles, took it in last week said it needs bushings, tomorrow im taking it in,the parts were back ordered. Ill find out which bushing they are.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Waiting for the CALL??? When to pick up. The front ends sounds like its really loose, over uneven pavement-dirt road wash board effect. When i installed the new rims 20" i thought the sound was caused by having the low profile tires. Then i put on the original for winter ,the sound was there. You read reviews that it is soild no rattles???
I bought the new 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and there is not one rattle over any bump on the roads!!!!! For $30000 and next to the $50000 JC the JC should not rattle either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I washed my JC the other day hoping it was just chunks of snow/ice causing it to "pop" but it's still the same. Popping noises even going like 2-5 mph over slushy patches of snow. Kirby, any news about the fix and what was causing it?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is this noise that your referring to sound like a hallow knock from the front suspension when going over a small bump or pothole in the road?

·
Registered
84 Posts
SF_JEEP said:
Is this noise that your referring to sound like a hallow knock from the front suspension when going over a small bump or pothole in the road?
That's what mine sounds like.... Heck I noticed it today on my grand prix but it sounds like the rear end and I kow it is just from the cold. The JC on the other hand has done it since day one.... pre-lift and after.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it comes and goes. On dry/flat pavement, it's ok, but one you really have play in the suspension by going over small patches of ice/snow, it'll make those noises. Any clue on what it is?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well got it back, now it sounds brand new lolol, makes no sounds. Just under 10000 miles, they replaced the front inner sway bar bushings. thats the fix like i said it is quiet!!!!!!!!!!! Hurrrrrrayyyyyy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you pay for it to get fixed or is it under warranty. It should be under the 3 yr/36000 miles right? And how long did it take to get fixed?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Maybe those teflon coated bushings aren't that great? They advertised them in their new car brochure!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
They had to order the bushings last week, took truck in at 8:30 picked up at 3:30, probably took them 1hr. easy fix.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Kirby said:
Well got it back, now it sounds brand new lolol, makes no sounds. Just under 10000 miles, they replaced the front inner sway bar bushings. thats the fix like i said it is quiet!!!!!!!!!!! Hurrrrrrayyyyyy
Kirby - did the technician hear the popping noise as well? I brought in my Jeep once to have them check out the hollow knocking noise that occurs when I travel over some minor bumps or potholes and they said they could not duplicate the noise. Therefore no fix. It occurs intermittently.

Are we talking about the same noise?

Thanks,
SF_Jeep

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think its the same noise its rattling, something loose, over train tracks,pot holes, for a 5000lb truck to sound loose in the front??? It woundnt do it on the highway or flat even road only when its uneven ,bumps etc. like something not bolted on in the suspension.the tech must of heard it too fix it. I would go with the tech or service manager to locate the noise. Its was really noticable when it was -10c or colder.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts