Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Disconnecting the front sway-bar gave me 2 extra inches of flex. (with stock suspension)

before: 4.5 inches between the top-of-tire and bottom-of-fender

after: 6.5 inches between the T-O-T and B-O-F

tire tuck before:

tire tuck after:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Very nice! Great pics too! Thats a good difference in the flex.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah... can't wait to see if the OME suspension will make a difference.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
before:

after:

it's a stretch...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driver side:

passenger side:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Was it hard to put the bolts back in? I assume if you were going to drive on a trail with it unhooked, the drop down rod would easily be unbolted too and completely removed.
Did it look like the brake lines were still ok and long enough? there has been a lot of talk about the brake lines being too short if you have much of a lift.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well Done, this is really good test :)

1- was the wheel rubbing when it is fully pushed in this pic ?

2- Does this put the shafts under excessive stress due to the larger angle?

3- What I could see is that you unbolted one side only and it was bolt #6 in this pic. am I correct? .. Is it ok to unbolt only one side and keep the bar laying there ? will it make any damage when going on trails? .. did you lift the vehicle to unbolt the bar or you did it while standing on the ground?

4- In this pic (right stretched wheel after disconnecting the bar) , is the ball joint at safe angle?

sorry too many question :D

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ahmed said:
Well Done, this is really good test :)

1- was the wheel rubbing when it is fully pushed in this pic ?

2- Does this put the shafts under excessive stress due to the larger angle?

3- What I could see is that you unbolted one side only and it was bolt #6 in this pic. am I correct? .. Is it ok to unbolt only one side and keep the bar laying there ? will it make any damage when going on trails? .. did you lift the vehicle to unbolt the bar or you did it while standing on the ground?

4- In this pic (right stretched wheel after disconnecting the bar) , is the ball joint at safe angle?

sorry too many question :D
I cant answer all the questions for him but i can answer a few:

2: I doubt it will cause that much stress to the CV axles since they wont always be at that angle. Only when you flex it out the suspension on something.

3: Im not sure why he only unbolted one side but yes it is bolt number 6 he took out. Thats the bolt for the sway bar end links.

4: Again thats probablly not the best angle for the bal joint to be in but it will only be in the angle when the suspension is totally flexed out. If its not flexed it will go back to normal. That looks like the same angle as Phunkeydudes Commander!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
It seems like if he were trying to turn while the suspension was flexed that much the tire would rub pretty bad if it could turn at all. In another thread 4.7 suggested that you disconnect the rear instead of the front.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To Ped4599:
Q: Was it hard to put the bolts back in?
A: No. Other than there length. they are about 2" inches.
Q: I assume if you were going to drive on a trail with it unhooked, the drop down rod would easily be unbolted too and completely removed.
A: I would definitly unbolt the top and bottom, and both sides also.
Q: Did it look like the brake lines were still ok and long enough? there has been a lot of talk about the brake lines being too short if you have much of a lift.
A: Brake lines are more than long enough. They were not anywhere close to being stretched. The rear brake lines are another story.

To Ahmed:
Q: was the wheel rubbing when it is fully pushed in this pic?
A: uhmm... maybe a little...? I didn't hear anything. I never thought about turning the wheel to see what would happen. I would probably rub then.
Q: Does this put the shafts under excessive stress due to the larger angle?
A: They looked fine. They weren't angled any more than someone with the 4" superlift. I think...
Q: What I could see is that you unbolted one side only and it was bolt #6 in this pic. am I correct?
A: That is the correct bolt.
Q: Is it ok to unbolt only one side and keep the bar laying there?
A: If i was going on a trail, I would unbolt both sides, and remove the link.
Q: Will it make any damage when going on trails?
A: I would think so.
Q: Did you lift the vehicle to unbolt the bar or you did it while standing on the ground?
A: I did it while on level ground. It was pretty easy.
Q: In this pic (right stretched wheel after disconnecting the bar) , is the ball joint at safe angle?
A: Temporarily, yes.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To 07jeepXK:
1: Im not sure why he only unbolted one side but yes it is bolt number 6 he took out. Thats the bolt for the sway bar end links.
A: The ground/asphalt here in Arizona, in the middle of the day... It was 100+ degrees!! I pulled the floor carpets out of the jeep to lay on. :) It was to HOT to do the rest! LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Looks like a good idea for some serious trails, but I think an aftermarket ball joint would be in order if you planned to go for any long period of time or often.

·
Registered
45 Posts
some friends and i went out wheelin' in Jacumba trails yesterday. i disconnected my front sway bar and loved how much more flex i got in the front and i'm now trying to rig my own sway bar disconnects for my XK. i got pictures of this trip but i don't have any sway bar before and afters (i will post them anyways on another thread since i've noticed everyone loves pictures here :D ).

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Old McDonald do you have a lift?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya. it's in the garage. Not on the XK yet.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Old McDonald said:
Ya. it's in the garage. Not on the XK yet.
Based on the pics I think i'm going to try it first for myself. I like the extra flex you got there but I think with a 2" lift you may have problems with the shafts and ball joints. The way the lift is installed with the stock A-arms makes the ball joint angle steep already as well as the CV shafts. I think the tires will not rub if you have a lift but you may stress out some other components. When you put on the lift I would test again.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Old McDonald said:
To Ped4599:
Q: Was it hard to put the bolts back in?
A: No. Other than there length. they are about 2" inches.
Q: I assume if you were going to drive on a trail with it unhooked, the drop down rod would easily be unbolted too and completely removed.
A: I would definitly unbolt the top and bottom, and both sides also.
Q: Did it look like the brake lines were still ok and long enough? there has been a lot of talk about the brake lines being too short if you have much of a lift.
A: Brake lines are more than long enough. They were not anywhere close to being stretched. The rear brake lines are another story.
A: Temporarily, yes.

THANK YOU!!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
adamag25 said:
Based on the pics I think i'm going to try it first for myself. I like the extra flex you got there but I think with a 2" lift you may have problems with the shafts and ball joints. The way the lift is installed with the stock A-arms makes the ball joint angle steep already as well as the CV shafts. I think the tires will not rub if you have a lift but you may stress out some other components. When you put on the lift I would test again.
thats exactly what i was wondering, since the lift would make the angle sharper......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts