Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't currently have any front recovery points on the XK. But with the lift being installed shortly and the tire upgrade, it is about time to ensure that i have some. So those of you with the front hooks on a stock bumper, are the front tow hooks actually useful, or am i going to tear the front bumper up on the jeep if they actually get used? Would love to find a cheaper solution to the Matrix system for a front recovery point solution. Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not much help here I guess but I'm looking at fabricating a front recovery for my XK. Probably going to use some 1-ton truck factory tow hooks and a cross member between the frame rails to distribute the load.

I won't be wheelin my XK but I tow my XJ to the trails occasionally and most times we are parking and in muddy fields. It would suck to get stuck and not be able to safely get going again while towing 6500# of Jeep and trailer behind me.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The OEM front tow hooks work great. I added them years ago because my Commander didn't come with any recovery points. They aren't connected to the front bumper so there is no way of damaging the bumper when using them. The front bumper has to come off to install them though. It's a very easy install

·
Registered
37 Posts
The hooks don't mount to the bumper, they mount to the uni-frame rails of the vehicle and have a backing plate on them as well to provide several bolting points into the frame rail for a stronger recovery point.

·
Registered
97 Posts
matrix has put up some shackle recovery points on the website, looks like the matrix guard arms without the whole matrix unit. check it out. let me look around the garage, had my old tow hooks somewhere, if your interested. just need a new 8 grade bolt for them to mount as the old was used to mount the matrix.

·
Registered
451 Posts
matrix has put up some shackle recovery points on the website, looks like the matrix guard arms without the whole matrix unit. check it out. let me look around the garage, had my old tow hooks somewhere, if your interested. just need a new 8 grade bolt for them to mount as the old was used to mount the matrix.
Do you still have these tow hooks? I sent you a PM

·
Registered
167 Posts
Realized this Jeep doesn't have front and rear tow points! That's got to change.

What's the best place to get the hooks?

Anyone have factory hooks and mounting hardware for sale?

·
Registered
180 Posts
82208987 is the part number if you want to google for yourself. But they're on amazon for a good price.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Commander-2006-2010-FRONT-Hooks-Mopar/dp/B000GKLXH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416790980&sr=8-1&keywords=commander+tow+hooks[/ame]

·
Registered
167 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I just got the front shackle mounts from John @ The Steel Armadillo. They were around 100 bucks and are very well made from what I can tell. Nice clean welds with good penetration, quality powdercoat, d-ring isolators, quality grade 8 hardware and a fairly simple install procedure. Hope to have them installed by the end of the week after the 4" S/L is installed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Awesome! Do the come with some sort of backing plate?

Mine didn't have the factory hooks so I assuming I'm lacking any reinforcement for that frame area.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to upload these. Yes, they come with backing plates and everything you see in the drawing. Again, quality work which you can tell someone handmade, not mass produced in some factory overseas. John @ S/A is awesome too. I bought/am buying a bunch of stuff from him including the 4" Superlift kit that is being installed now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
They're 1/4" steel and the hardware is all grade 8. The welds are well-done with good penetration and an even bead. When I first got them and took them out, I accidentally dropped one I'm the concrete floor of my shop and the p/c held up just fine. I know that doesn't sound like much, but I'm used to getting parts for my TJ that will chip if you look at them the wrong way-lol. I'm hopefully installing them this weekend so I'll post up some pics after.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Great. I'll wait for the install pics, but I'm definitely leaning towards these. Especially for the price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts