Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
Got my jeep commander about a year ago, during the process of replacing my front struts this weekend I've damaged the seals on my upper ball joints (utilizing the POS ball joint tool Auto Zone loaned me). My question is simple.... Is it possible to remove and replace the ball joints without replacing the upper control arm.... or do I have to purchase the UCA with the ball joints already in place. The price difference is about 100$..
Thanks in advance.
2006 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7 V8 Hemi

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
The OEM ball joints are not replaceable. You have to replace the whole control arm.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks 5253
Is it as easy as it looks just two bolts accessible from under the wheel well?
The bolts are accessible but the nuts are tough to get to especially on the drivers side unless you take off the plastic wheel well liner. Otherwise a second person comes in handy to keep a wrench on the nut from inside the engine compartment while you're in the wheel well.

Also, they do sell replacement ball joints that can be installed on the OEM arms. I just had mine replaced yesterday. They are extremly tight, so I had to have a shop press them in for me as the C-clamp style press was not beefy enough to do the job. Jeep might not recommend it, but I would hazard to guess that Jeep wouldn't recommend most of the stuff that people on here have done to their XK's.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The OEM ball joints are not replaceable. You have to replace the whole control arm.
That's not true! The OEM upper ball joints can be replaced.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
That's not true! The OEM upper ball joints can be replaced.
Ooops ! I thought everyone was so happy about the aftermarket (JBA, etc.) control arms because the ball joints could be replaced and the OEMs couldn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts