Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post...I'm replacing both front wheel hubs on my '06 Commander - 65th anniv. ed.. I have caliper, axle nut, and hub bolts removed from steering knuckle, but she still won't budge...do I use a puller, pound it or burn it off ? I've been dousing it with PB Blaster in the meantime...any help would be greatly appreciated....Thanks

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie on this site... have an '06 Commander 65th anniv. ed. w. 86,000 mi. ...replacing both front wheel hubs. Calipers, axle nut and hub bolts are removed, should I use a puller to free hub ? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hi Airman, welcome to the forum!!! We can probably help you a little more if you can explain your situation but, nevertheless, I guess a good tap should set them free. I'm sure some of the senior members will chime in soon. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you,powerslave! Both front hubs are shot - crazy noisy- dealer said this is normal wear and tear (what?), anyway, I got a sweet deal on a new set of replacements from Timken, And now I can't get the old hubs off...been dousing 'em with PB Blaster, pounding on 'em cursing them, and cajoling them....I rigged up a puller, but the threaded axle bolt recedes into the boot...I don't want to damage the tone wheel, so I held off on that approach...I'm also nervous about applying heat, for fear of damaging bearing seals,etc., The dissimilar metals (cast steering knuckle - steel hub assembly)have galvanized, and pounding has separated one side about 1/16th of an inch...and that's as far as I got...

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Wow, when I got my lift kit installed, the moron doing it ripped the boots. I took the XK back the next day after noticing axle grease on the inside of my wheels. They took off the wheels, disassembled the suspension and the the axles just came out like nothin'. Axles got rebuilt and again, slipped in like butter. Sorry if this doesn't help you but I wanna try to keep your post near the top.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again, power...this caught me kinda offguard, since I was in the middle of wrenchin' on my '97 grand cherokee - over 208,000mi.,still runs sweet - exhaust,oil pan gasket,brakes, steerig gear box, hoses,pwr. steer pump, water pump , differentials re-gasketed and re- filled - all in the last two weeks, and now the '06 pulls up lame - I've been lucky enough to have use of a '95 Audi that a friend was junking, just to get around - mostly to buy parts....

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
LOL, I have a 96 ZJ that I got about 6 months ago, 198xxx miles and still running strong!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Partstrain.com is a good site for ZJ parts - dealer wanted $240 ea. for hubs for my XK- Mopars that I now know are only good for 86k mi. - Partstrain ? $245 for a PAIR of TIMKENS made in the U.S.A. , and I had 'em in my hands 35 hrs. after placing the order!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Don't forget the O-ring at the axel...don't discard it though...

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Oh yeah - WELCOME! I've been lurkin' here for about a year, but as you can see, just started posting. I've done a lot to my '06 (some listed in my signature) including having to replace a half-shaft after installing my lift - all of which was made possible with information gathered from other member's "experiences" here on this board. Good luck w/your hubs :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your wonderful input...I've gleaned a lot of valuable information from reading the various threads and posts....I was able to separate the hubs from the steering knuckles finally by tapping in a thin spring steel pry bar at the joint between hub and knuckle at the bolt flanges on the hub and increasing the thickness of my wedge by switching to a cold chisel and using its tapered profile ,while working it around the outer edges of the hub to gain separation....I then wire brushed the edges of the hole in the steering knuckle as well as the hub contact surface , cleaned it all out with a spray solvent, then installed the new hub, after coating the new contact surfaces with a thin film of hi-temp grease....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing I did encounter that may cause issue/possible failure at some point: At the lower outside front end of the steering knuckles ,which appear to be an aluminum alloy, I noticed deep corrosion beginning, and as this a natural drainage edge, and not very thick at that point, it's something I will definitely be keeping an eye on, that's for sure. Failure at this point could be catastrophic....If you're in an area where road salt is used in winter, as it is here in the Northeast, I would suggest periodic inspection of this area....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts