Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my "Service 4WD System" warning come on a 3 times in the the last year. I then scanned the OBD codes and it shows as a front Right Hand Wheel Speed Sensor issue. code = U140A
I ordered a new sensor and replaced it and all the dash warnings and light went away. I cleared the fault codes and all was OK. 4 months latter "Bing" the warning lights and message was back scanned the codes and yep another Front R/H sensor issue. I had a spare one , replaced it and back to normal, guess what it's happened again 3 weeks a go. Same side same problem same fix.

Has anyone got a reason why it's happening on a regular basis and has it happened to anyone else.

I'm thinking it maybe the pulse coming off the bear bearing too faint which means I need to replace a wheel bearing but this is a major cost doing and experimental part change to find the problem.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
On 2/8 This is from my Facebook post...

2/5/14 Ugggh. Had recall work done on jeep.

02/6 dash warning light up. 5 DTC codes.
Called the dealer and took it in. They can't find anything wrong. Head for Fla
everything is good until.....

2/7 AbS lights and service 4 wheel drive system.
Transmission makes a horrible noise Grinding sound at the driveshaft.

2/8 Stuck. In west palm beach Hope I can find a dealer tomorrow morning.
Went to the dealer and I have to wait until Monday morning. They didn't have
any mechanics on Saturday. The break seemed to be tight on the right front
wheel so I pried the caliper open a bit. That helped tremendously

It started with the abs BAS and esp lights and the squiggly lines along with
check engine lights. Service 4wd came on too. Went to dealer they couldn't
find anything. Next morning lights were on and brakes locked with abs. After I
got moving all was fine until I shut the engine off.

2/10 Went to dealer and they replaced sensor and all seems well.
2 hrs underway the lights came on again but the brakes were not locking.
The lights came on for a while then off a while. Then they went off and haven't
seen them for 3 days now. WTF???
Fix itself?

2/11 Flipping lights on again. Hour out of WPB lights are on again. I'm pulling
a trailer and heading toward Atlanta where they don't plow or drive well.

2/12 Lights have not come back on....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you find out what the problem was? Did the Dealership give you a print out of the error codes. I use to always ask for this before i got my scan tool.
Noise from the transmission is serious stuff. I had a similar noise issue and it was the front propeller shaft (drive to the front diff) rear CV. the CV had run out off grease and about to seize and it made one hell of a grinding noise once the car had stopped and cooled.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think I've found the issue with my R/H Wheel speed sensor. It was the cheap crap Chinese wheel bearing I install only 12 months previously. Upon further investigation I have found 2 problems with the front wheel hubs/bearings. I have just found the L/H bearing was starting to wear, it had too much free play when the car was jacked and was staring to make noise on the highway so I figure the R/H one must be crap too and causing bad sensing issues. I've just order 2 x new Mopar ex the USA. It's the last time I buy Chinese Ebay parts for the Commander.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts