Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post some more pics soon, but I just got my front receiver/winch mount added.

I REALLY wish i had of just ordered Get Lost's mount .. I spent the better part of three DAYS getting it done.

I originally planned to tuck the mount it inside the front frame tube ...

But ended up cutting the WHOLE front frame tube out.

Sorry the pics are blurry I ended up doing most of this after dark outside :)

Here's a shot of drilling one of the mounting holes ... the plywood is to protect the rad when the drill bit catches ... I broke 2 drill bits, but all the rads survived :0)

I'll put some more pics up tomorrow ... just finished tonight at midnight

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
you cut the front crossmember out?........:ugh2: It looks like you have done nice work but I am not sure about cutting that front support out. I guess the testing will tell.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I think you should weld the receiver hitch frame to the XK frame instead of just bolting.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys! ... I'll add some more pics later on today

adamag25... No worries there the new cross member I put in is probably 5 times stronger than stock one I took out :)

GPintheMitten... the frame is folded up out of light 14 gauge sheet metal (under.080" of thickness) ... it's pretty much too light to weld 1/4" steel to ... if you tried it would just blow away when the welding rod hit it

I used Heavy Plate back washer (2"X1"by3/8" thick) under the 1/2" bolts and there's five grade 8 bolts holding it on ... it's actually stronger than a weld.

Iowa Commander... If I had of KNOWN it was going that far I probably would not have started :) I really needed the winch mount for this weekend and like Nike says ... just did it! :)

I've been doing all sorts of fab work on trucks since I was a teen ager though, and I worked as a Millwright for many years.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it looks stronger than stock and I've done my share of irreversible alterations. Just looking at it with the missing piece looks rough. Looking forward to the after pics.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
OK, Yeggster, you've got the experience and the skills. Are you going to re-attach the black plastic crush part and the plastic bumper fascia? You might want to use the cut out cross member and re-attach parts of it to support the plastic parts. Then it would not look so scary to all of us.

Anyway, good job. I know you will like having the front receiver mount as much as I do.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes good points!! ... I have some pics of thoese items too, hopefully not too blurry

·
Registered
422 Posts
looking foreward to it...trying to figure out a way for mine as well...and allthough this is a bit rough ...it looks like another viable option.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
not bad.

i have my bumper mount welded to my front crossmember. it actually welded really nicely.

i have a mig though. just hold your arc to the thicker metal then swing out to the thinner stuff really quick and then back to the thicker stuff. i also welded PolarBZ's mount to the frame when i installed his.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not bad.

i have my bumper mount welded to my front crossmember. it actually welded really nicely.

i have a mig though. just hold your arc to the thicker metal then swing out to the thinner stuff really quick and then back to the thicker stuff. i also welded PolarBZ's mount to the frame when i installed his.

Good point ... I guess it would be possible to use that same technique even with a stick welder, with the right rods and some practice, ... all I had was 1/8" 7018's

I have bridged 1/8" plate to 16 gauge steel lots of time with my little Lincoln (wire feed flux core) .. but I don't think it's up to the 1/4"

I'll keep the welding in mind if the mounts loosens up at all (easy to spot by the paint lines) I have a buddy with a full size MIG machine that is skilled enough to be comfortable welding it.

Do you take any precautions with the Jeep's electrical (computer etc) when welding ... is it necessary to disconnect the battery etc?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK here's some more pics. and the rest of the story

I removed off the grill, bumper and that under bumper crush thing, incidentally these items are dead easy to remove if anyone is nervous about that part ... all you need is a flat blade screw driver to pop up the plastic push connectors and 10mm socket for the 6 or so screws.

Don;t forget to UNWIRE your fog lights if so equipped, I was lucky and the bumper was left gently swinging on one wire (with no damage)

Here is the hitch as it was supplied ... it was only $70

Unfortunately it was the wrong configuration to fit in the space available :(

I have to cut it up before I could start.

This is much easier said than done ... each weld have to be precision cut to avoid damaging the base material, I used a combination of Oxy Acetylene torches, 5" grinder and the saber saw pictures in the first post

Here is is back together and a bit more compact before paint, that's my Lincoln in the back it was not use in this project except to weld on a sheet metal bracket we'll see later.

Here's the right side frame rail all drilled ready to be bolted together with the new crossmember/winch mount

And here is the new unit all painted ... Note the sheet metal clip that was carefully welded on in exactly the same place as the original :)

Wife just got home ... More pics after super!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a close up of drilling the drivers side bolt holes

You will note the colour change of the unit :) ... I had it in and out a few times making changes and painted it at one point

Here is a shot of the braces for where the hood latch is located ... i drilled and tapped the new crossmember/winch mount 1/4" X 20 and put in two stainless steel bolts.

The hood was too hard to close ( I must have been out a bit in my measurements) so I later added a couple washer under the braces and the hood closed normally.

Here is is bolted in .. sorry the picture sucks .. it was dark and raining by this point.

Here is is the next morning with the under bumper crush thing installed.

........ Next post for picture limit

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Here's a spot I missed the top bolts come up at an odd angle due to the frame shape .. so I joined the two hitch pieces with two heavy passes of weld on this corner for more strength

Here's a look at another part i believe is there for safety crush ... two small cans one on each end of the frame rails ... they tuck in a slot and bolt on the other side, but my cutting removed the slot, so i carefully modified them to tuck in behind two of the bolt heads and put the stock screws back in.

Here it is all done completely invisible :)

I attached the stock license plate holder to a plastic receiver hitch I made up out of four 1/2" thick pieces of nylon laminated together ... it goes on just like a ball hitch receiver hitch.

And a view looking down from the top with the license plate on.

.... next post

Attachments

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a look from the front with no license plate.

and a close up

and one with the ball hitch on the front .. my old winch ( http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9193 ) snaps on a 2" ball ... I plan to get a bigger one some day soon with a direct receiver mount like HueyPilotVN has some day soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Very nice. After you have all the plastic back on it looks very similar to mine that Ross made up as a prototype.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very nice. After you have all the plastic back on it looks very similar to mine that Ross made up as a prototype.

Yes similar in end appearance anyway :)

... as I said if I could go back I'd get the one Ross makes, it's MUCH less invasive and WAY faster to install.

I really do like the way this one I made work and the one Ross invented fit inside the bumper, makes a neat appearance, with the front license plate on it's hardly noticeable.

I might get a fold down step mount for the license plate this fall but until then the stock one looks OK

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Looks great.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
as far as welding on any vehicle.

ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE CABLE FROM THE BATTERY.

i've burned up a computer on my old toyota by forgetting to disconnect the computer. and the Commander has about 30 computer which are way more expensive then a toyota computer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts