Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

today I spent 14 hrs trying to replace bushings for front lower control arms. I bought tons of stuff - special kits for press-in/out, all possible greases, the bushings itself and...

What I managed to do today is:
- ball joint replacement
- 1 (one) center bushing replacement (and I spoiled another one trying to press it in)
and...

Thats all. Side effects are:
- broken abs sensor
- wheels need to be realigned
- I am veryveryvery angry
- I know that max torque I can reach is 800Nm.

Perhaps, you're asking yourselves why did he write it? It's a warning: don't mess with arms' bushings. Replace them entirely. The efforts I've made is not worth the result at all. And, if being equipped as a real dealership I couldn't get a result, nobody else with no service tool would get it.

Guys, don't waste your time. Replace front control arms entirely!

-- sorry for misspells/errors, I really tired. It was a horrible day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes removing bushings can me a PAIN.
This system seems to work:
-Heat the inner sleeve until you can push it out of the rubber bushing.
-Take a sawzall and carefully cut from the inside through the outer bushing steel liner. Be careful not to cut the control arm.
-Press or beat the bushing out with a hammer, may need a chisel too...or a bigger hammer. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aha, the irony is I've got a complete set of tools, including hydraulic press and a set of cups/receivers for performing press-in/out, but the control arm doesn't even have a single straight line, only curves, holes, ribs and the other stuff. I simply can't level the cups and start pulling. They, I mean Chrysler's engineers, complicated the procedure very well.

The other great thing is that in order to replace the rear upper control arm we have to unmount the fuel tank first. Ain't it cool?

Frankly, being an engineer I see many solutions that make me think that some parts were intentionally made unserviceable without any obvious reason. "Avion a quatre mains", pardon my French :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The other great thing is that in order to replace the rear upper control arm we have to unmount the fuel tank first. Ain't it cool?

Frankly, being an engineer I see many solutions that make me think that some parts were intentionally made unserviceable without any obvious reason. "Avion a quatre mains", pardon my French :)
I ran into that rear control arm bolt issue when I did my lift. I was cursing the engineers that day. Luckily I could work around not removing it but I think if it's ever taken out a simple fix would be installing the bolt from the other side. Would be nice if engineers put a little thought toward serviceability.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am pretty sure the engineers know what to do to simplify our lives, but their management requires to complicate the things. They're caring about the dealerships this way, I suppose

1 - 6 of 6 Posts