Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer add a hitch to the back of our XK, so I don't need the rear tow hook anymore. Sale includes all mounting hardware. Mopar part # 82208711AB fits both the XK and WK.

$50 shipped to the lower 48.

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Is that just one hook?
Factory set up is one rear hook which must be removed to install the tow package (they use the same mounting position).

·
Registered
299 Posts
So If you have the tow pkg this will not fit?

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They put an aftermarket (Hidden Hitch) on our XK and the tow hook is still installed. I'll have to look under there when I get off of work and I'll snap a pic or two.

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
They put an aftermarket (Hidden Hitch) on our XK and the tow hook is still installed. I'll have to look under there when I get off of work and I'll snap a pic or two.
The hook can not be installed if you have the OEM hitch.

EDIT: So apparently you can if you make some modifications as dhh3 explains in the next post.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
The hook can not be installed if you have the OEM hitch.
Quite the opposite. I have the hook installed with my factory hitch. The reason why the factory doesn't offer this is because the hook has a brace which uses one of the four holes for the hitch. The hook itself bolts to the end of the frame rail on the driver's side. The brace runs from the hook over to the left center hole for the hitch. The brace has a metric nut welded on the end, and a bolt goes through the frame from the back, and screws into this nut. I sawed the nut off of the brace. The 4 bolts holding the hitch extend past the nuts on the inside at least an inch. So, to install the brace, all I did was lower my spare, put the brace on the end of the bolt holding the hitch, and bought another nut to fit the bolt. I didn't have to disturb the hitch. I'll post a picture to prove it!
[/IMG]
I realize the hook is in the shadows, but it is there. The dealer told me I could not do this, but the proof is in the pudding!:eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Did they reinstall the brace? Without the brace, you run the risk of twisting your frame rail if you should ever use the hook.:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
If you have a hitch, you dont really need a hook to attach a tow
strap ....unless you have the smaller receiver.

I run the end of the towstrap into the end of the receiver and put
the pin that holds the hitch in place thru the loop. It is very secure.
If the pin will hold pulling a trailer, it will hold pulling someone out of
the mud.

Yes, I have used it and pulled people out before.

There are always limits. Your hitch wont pull every trailer and you
cant pull everyone out using that hook.

If you want to keep the hook just so you have a towpoint,
you don't need it unless you have the smaller receiver.

If you want the hook just cause.....then go for it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did they reinstall the brace? Without the brace, you run the risk of twisting your frame rail if you should ever use the hook.:eek:rangehat:
Well, I got under the XK to check it out and they did not re-install the brace so I guess that makes the hook pretty much useless...:killtard:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, they removed the piece labeled (B). Mods please lock/delete this, the rear hook is no longer for sale since I don't have all the parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.