Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is there something I'm missing here or just where is this filter and when do you change it?

Not sure about this, nor the transmission fluid change.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
seedsntrees said:
Hello,

Is there something I'm missing here or just where is this filter and when do you change it?

Not sure about this, nor the transmission fluid change.

Thanks,
The filters are typically in the tank and normally don't require a change and the transmission fluid is supposed to be a lifetime fluid that's why there's no dipstick.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
you're kidding right?

i hope so. usually there is a filter on the pump in the tank to keep crap from going through the pump. there is also another filter located next to the tank or in the engine bay. i haven't looked for mine yet. i usually change those around 50K miles.

the transmission is supposed to be changed around 60K miles on the 4.7 and 5.7. if you are using it off road a lot i would change it around 40K.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The 5.7 doesn't have a dipstick, not because it's a lifetime fluid, but because you have to take the fluid temperature into account when checking to make sure the level is appropriate. Hence, they leave the tube out so you have to go to the dealer and have it done right. I know with the LX platform you can buy an aftermarket dipstick and tube, it may work in the Commander.

The 4.7 model does have a tranny dipstick.

Seed, did you read your owners manual for service intervals?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

OK, I do have a dipstick and have the 5.7.

Guess you don't need to change the transmission fluid @ 30K miles like the transfer case.

The fuel filter must be in the tank, for sure I can not find it. Lost on this one.

Thanks anyway Guys,

OUT!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
YB Normyl said:
The filters are typically in the tank and normally don't require a change and the transmission fluid is supposed to be a lifetime fluid that's why there's no dipstick.
I'd say 100,000 miles for schedule A service on the W5A580 isn't lifetime but it is a lot of miles. I've spoken to powertrain engineers that said if you haven't changed your trans fluid by 50,000 then don't. His reasoning was you can't change all of it in one fluid change and then you're risking loosening up debris in the crevice's of the internals. My buddy changes his trans fluid once a year. Only the diesel fuel filter is listed on the maintenance schedule. Check it out at WKJeeps.com http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts