Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends..
I am new to this forum and need you advice to understand the fuel mileage. Well, I recently purchased 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7 liter V8 from a garage sale. Everything is working absolutely fine, but I am not happy with the fuel mileage. I am getting about 14-15 mpg. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my Commander? Can anyone suggest me some good tips to get the best fuel mileage?

Your inputs will be helpful.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Other than what you likely already know, accellerate mildly, cruise at slower speeds, keep the rpm's low; and keep the motor tuned up and well maintained. Change the plugs and ignition wires at normal intervals, check the air filter at every oil change and change it when it gets dirty, keep the air pressure up in the tires.

Its an utility vehicle, with off road capability and many truck qualities, like low gearing and towing capability, with a V8, you're NOT going to get great mileage.

As well, pollution controls (in some way helps mileage) also limits some of the things the designers can do with the motor to increase mileage.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Hello friends..
I am new to this forum and need you advice to understand the fuel mileage. Well, I recently purchased 2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7 liter V8 from a garage sale. Everything is working absolutely fine, but I am not happy with the fuel mileage. I am getting about 14-15 mpg. Is this normal or is there something wrong with my Commander? Can anyone suggest me some good tips to get the best fuel mileage?

Your inputs will be helpful.
Welcome to the forum, to sunny CA from cold IN! Since you bought it at a garage sale, did you get an owners manual? Did the seller give you any maintenance records? At least with the manual, you can see what the recommended servicing is. Plugs on the 4.7 need to be changed every 30K. How many miles are on it? If you want a small improvement, you can install a CAI, add a little more improvement with a cat back exhaust. But, depending on how you drive, what you are seeing is normal, sorry to say. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
405 Posts
That's actually preatty good milage I get about 11.5 - 12mpg in the city so you are doing preatty good compared to me. Also welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
92 Posts
I get avg 16-17 city and 21 highway. I am very light on the pedal. I was running about 13-14 mpg when i first bought the truck, i changed the plugs, (the originals were toast) and dropped in a K&N filter, thats about it. Also, found the sweet spot on the highway to be between 63-65. That really helped.

But then again, there are times when i just dont care about all of that, crank the stereo and let lose on the 4.7, and the savings in MPG goes pretty much out the window but who cares? I'll just put more gas in... I just love this JEEP.

·
Registered
77 Posts
consider yourself lucky, i'm getting 11-12 on average according to the onboard controls (90% city driving). and i baby my vehicles. everything in life is a trade-off, and this is just part of owning a jeep. the good news is that it gets about the same mileage as any full size truck, but with many more capabilities than most other vehicles out there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thats the same as I get as well. You're spot on. Interstate driving between 63-65 gets me about 16.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome to the club! Fuel mileage does not seem to concern most of us Commander owners. That being said, I have found that the farther you go, the better the mileage. I average 13-14 in town and can sniff 19 on a long highway trip. The Commander is heavy and square. This is not the best recipe for fuel economy. If I was very worried about the mileage, I would not have bought a Commander. I could tell by looking at it that it would not astound me with great fuel economy. ('07 4.7L)

The Commander is very capable, seats 7, and reminds me of the great jeep wagons of yester-year. That was enough for me to buy one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
i drive about 1 mile from my house to school. and then 4 miles to friend house. and then 3 miles to my house. usually my daily driving. on a good day during the summer i can hit 12mpg. but winter gas just guts me...7.9 on a good day.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I am so happy we are talking about this. It makes me feel better just knowing there are other people out there with the same addiction and the same problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Geez, I guess I am glad I found this thread! LOL I purchased an 07' 4.7 two and half weeks ago and was getting this bad of gas mileage. When I got it the PO was running 265/70 or 75's don't remember. I have since switched to 245/75's, and going by the on board stuff mileage was pitiful. So I decided to pull out the old Garmin and check vehicle vs actual. I have noticed in these first few miles that indicated speed is approx. 4.7 mph slower than actual. Also as you might have guessed indicated mileage is less than actual. When this tank is done I will get the new average. I guess it will be slightly better. According to what you guys are saying guess I guess I need to change the plugs, and perhaps get a better quality wire. It does have the K&N CAI and a 2" lift.
JCIII

·
Registered
195 Posts
This will fix your speedo and thus computer

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/modules/

I calculated driving when I had 265's from TX to MI and average 18.3 highway over the entire trip one way. Slapped on the 285's and getting 17.6 highway. City is an entirely different issue.....as in BAD.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This will fix your speedo and thus computer

http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/modules/

I calculated driving when I had 265's from TX to MI and average 18.3 highway over the entire trip one way. Slapped on the 285's and getting 17.6 highway. City is an entirely different issue.....as in BAD.
Interesting, so this little machine does the trick huh? I do wonder as it states working with the 4" lift would there be that much of an impact/improvement with just a 2" lift?
JCIII

·
Registered
195 Posts
The primary function of the device is to recal the ELSD from engaging early as a result of the lift. However, it recal's the speedo as well based on tire size. You simply program your tire height and flash the ECU through the OBDII port. I think it can go all the way up to 39" tires (which none of us will likely have).

It really does not improve anything (sans ELSD) except making the speedo / odometer correct, then the rest of the computer will calc accurately.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just completed a 2,100 mile round trip from Denver to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho with 1/2 the trip fighting head winds so strong that the MD did not kick in because I had to power the engine down hill to maintain 75 mph.

The trip was mostly up and down with chain laws in effect for three mountain passes. Lots of black ice, ground blizzards and closed rest stops.

My average mileage for the 08 Hemi with 2" lift and Michelin LTX A/T 265/65/17 with 40# air @ 70 mph (gps) was 16.75 mpg. Outside air temp ranged from +25 to -9.

I pulled into one rest stop where the drive/pl had at lease 24" snow and had no problems. The Commander was hardly ever effected on black ice with 35 mph side winds even though several trailers were flippped over off the road.

It was sure nice to have remote start and seat warmers in the mornings with the low temps and snow on the windshield:)

I would have liked to have had better fuel economy but I would not trade the bad weather performance and comfort of my Commander to save a few fuel $$$.

BCB

08 Commander Hemi, 2", Michelin LTX A/T 265/65/27, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow, Silvania Ultras, otherwise-stock.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unless 5.7's are different, there are no spark plug wires, well, at least not in the traditional sense. These engines are all "coil on plug" as far as I know.

Changing out the copper plugs helps. For those that make really short trips all the time, a hotter plug may help too, but if you do change to a hotter plug, you may need to use higher octane for those times when you run it hard.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts