Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
does anyone have any tips on how to improve fuel mileage on a 2006 jeep commander limited 4.7??
In most cases, sticking to stock parts and Jeep's recommended maintenance schedule, you should be at/near optimal fuel mileage wise. Typical for all cars would be:

1. Replace air & fuel filter
2. Replace oil/filter
3. Flush all fluids (brake, transmission, & differential(s) (f/r) ).
4. Set tires to recommended air pressure (e.g. 35psi; I tend to put 2psi more to avoid having to check more frequently).
5. Remove excess loaded items (bags, trash, etc.)
6. Run some fuel injector system cleaners almost every 5-10k
7. Replace spark plugs and ensure they're gapped correctly; stick to OEM/stock plugs (e.g. Champion copper per 5.7L like mine; didn't get much improvement at all purchasing platinum tips and all for the extra money).
8. Replace PCV valve where applicable.

Last part, is ease off the gas pedal (when accelerating, especially from a stop; imagine there's a raw egg between the pedal and your foot) and try not to exceed over 60mph, for optimal MPGs. Plan your trip(s) accordingly, and if you need to stop to eat/drink, avoid the drive-thru. Avoid driving around to find cheapest gas.

Our XKs aren't exactly 'aerodynamic' friendly, so don't expect much MPG improvements. That's about as much as I think you can do thus far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
my 07 4x4 4.7L gets around 14mpg avg. how many gallons do these things have. i fill up around 225miles and at that point my gauge is showing almost empty but when i fill up it only takes maybe 16 gallons?

i just installed a 18in magnaflow muffler today and getting a k&n soon,

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
my 07 4x4 4.7L gets around 14mpg avg. how many gallons do these things have.
2006 models have a 20.5 gal tank. 2007 and up have a 21.1 gal tank.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2006 models have a 20.5 gal tank. 2007 and up have a 21.1 gal tank.
It's just strange because even when it's showing almost empty on the needle and I fill it up it usually stops between 16-17 gallons. Does it really have that much reserve?

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
It's just strange because even when it's showing almost empty on the needle and I fill it up it usually stops between 16-17 gallons. Does it really have that much reserve?
Yes, 2 or 3 gals.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, 2 or 3 gals.

I guess maybe I should stop being such a little B and run the tank a little lower than. Thanks. Either way I'm still getting a better avg than my old 06 2wd explorer with the 4.0L v6. Not sure considering I replaced it with a 4.7L 4x4

·
Registered
6 Posts
V8 4x4 suv. No improvement for mpg. It sucks gas. My excursion v10 got 11, my 07 limited hemi gets 13. Miss my excursion. Wife loves the size of the jeep, easier for her to drive. But they ALL drink the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just finished a 4200 mile road trip with my family of 5 and all of our gear strapped to a luggage rack on the rear hitch (total weight apprx. extra 1,000 lbs) The worst mileage I had was 14.0 avg speed was 73 MPH) on regular gas (86 in NM). The best mileage I had was 18.0 (avg speed of 74 MPH) on Ethanol Free premium. This mileage was achieved traveling from Lake Geneva, WI to St. Louis, MO made it 330 miles on 1 tank! Mixed driving I fill up after 200 miles, every tank I ran as close to dry as possible. Once I put over 20 gallons in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts