Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Jeep shut off and stopped running last week act like it didn't want to start act like it was out of gas but it had a quarter of a tank. Towed it to my brother's shop they put gas in it just to make sure it wasn't out of gas. when you turn the key over to the on setting the fuel pump clicked on there was no loud humming, my brother even put his ear to the gas tank, banged on the gas tank. well finally next day they got it to start, runs like crap, idling crazy and then dying, black fluid coming out of the tailpipe. we know it was a fuel problem but that made us think there was also a problem with the converters maybe they were clogged so we emptied those out welded them back. Today we are putting a new fuel pump system in it but I am afraid that that is not the problem or at least not the only problem because with the 3.7 engine 2007 Jeep Commander the fuel pump is supposed to last forever I did run my Jeep from full to empty quite a bit cuz I forget to look and then when my gas light beeps I fill it up again just this past year jeep was pretty nicely taken care of though by previous owners so I'm just feeling really uneasy about this whole thing. I've put a lot of money into the jeep this past year. So I know what causes fuel pressure to go up and I know what causes fuel pressure to go down but if anyone knows what causes your fuel pressure to bounce up and down while the vehicle is running please let me know! keynote when the vehicle is not running and it's just switch to on the fuel pressure is norma!!l my brother's best guess is the filter inside the pump is clogged. If the problem is solved later tonight when they put the new part on I will let you guys know.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
@arburt2015
Hello and welcome to JeepCommander.com! To help make your forum experience as positive as possible, we would like to direct you to some important sections of the site.

First, all new members are strongly encouraged to make an introduction to the forum thread, which can be posted here - New Member Section | Jeep Commander Forum

Second, you can find all of our Rules and Policies by following this link - Important New Member information, Forum requirements...

And third, all of your notifications (including alerts for Private Messages, labeled Conversations) can be found by clicking your user image at the top right of the site. You will know when you have an alert by the red dot that appears.

If you have any questions, you can reach out to any of our staff members @rblapham , @Big Blue or @jeep5253 found here; (1) Start a Conversation | Jeep Commander Forum

Once again, welcome to the community and have a great day!

-The JeepCommander.com team

Reactions: arburt2015

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my Jeep shut off and stopped running last week act like it didn't want to start act like it was out of gas but it had a quarter of a tank. Towed it to my brother's shop they put gas in it just to make sure it wasn't out of gas. when you turn the key over to the on setting the fuel pump clicked on there was no loud humming, my brother even put his ear to the gas tank, banged on the gas tank. well finally next day they got it to start, runs like crap, idling crazy and then dying, black fluid coming out of the tailpipe. we know it was a fuel problem but that made us think there was also a problem with the converters maybe they were clogged so we emptied those out welded them back. Today we are putting a new fuel pump system in it but I am afraid that that is not the problem or at least not the only problem because with the 3.7 engine 2007 Jeep Commander the fuel pump is supposed to last forever I did run my Jeep from full to empty quite a bit cuz I forget to look and then when my gas light beeps I fill it up again just this past year jeep was pretty nicely taken care of though by previous owners so I'm just feeling really uneasy about this whole thing. I've put a lot of money into the jeep this past year. So I know what causes fuel pressure to go up and I know what causes fuel pressure to go down but if anyone knows what causes your fuel pressure to bounce up and down while the vehicle is running please let me know! keynote when the vehicle is not running and it's just switch to on the fuel pressure is norma!!l my brother's best guess is the filter inside the pump is clogged. If the problem is solved later tonight when they put the new part on I will let you guys know.
Still same problem after new fuel pump sending unit

·
Registered
07 Jeep Commander Overland
42 Posts
I am not as knowledgeable with systems my Jeep yet. There certainly are people on here who can help if we can get them to chime in. In general, have you tried the following.

plug issues, trash in fuel line, fuel filter, injectors clogged, fuel pump(not sure if it is the same as sending unit)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not as knowledgeable with systems my Jeep yet. There certainly are people on here who can help if we can get them to chime in. In general, have you tried the following.

plug issues, trash in fuel line, fuel filter, injectors clogged, fuel pump(not sure if it is the same as sending unit)
Unfortunately it's alllll one unit on my jeep. The filter was decently clogged and the gas looked dirty but still same issue.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Still same problem after new fuel pump sending unit
@arburt2015 ;
Welcome to the forum;

Please complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Having all of your Commander specific information in your profile signature, will help us, help you.

That being said, are you sure it's a fuel pump problem?

Are you receiving any Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

Have you had your Commander scanned with an OBD-II software scanner to see if any DTC's are present

I'd also suggest checking the battery & making sure it's fully charged.

After that, check your alternator and make sure it's functioning properly.

A bad battery or a faulty Alternator could cause your Commander to shut down and/or run rough as well.

Unless you have some DTC's that specifically point to the fuel system, I'm not so sure your fuel pump is the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@arburt2015 ;
Welcome to the forum;

Please complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Having all of your Commander specific information in your profile signature, will help us, help you.

That being said, are you sure it's a fuel pump problem?

Are you receiving any Diagnostic Trouble Codes?

Have you had your Commander scanned with an OBD-II software scanner to see if any DTC's are present

I'd also suggest checking the battery & making sure it's fully charged.

After that, check your alternator and make sure it's functioning properly.

A bad battery or a faulty Alternator could cause your Commander to shut down and/or run rough as well.

Unless you have some DTC's that specifically point to the fuel system, I'm not so sure your fuel pump is the problem.
It's not throwing any codes and the alternator was just put in 3 months ago.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
It's not throwing any codes and the alternator was just put in 3 months ago.
Pretty strange that it's running that poorly and not throwing any DTC's and has no stored DTC's.

You did have it scanned with an OBD-II Scanner, correct?

I would also still check your battery as well.

Have you ever had your Fuel system flushed & serviced?

If you've been running your Gas tank down to low (and it sounds like you have been) it may be time to get your fuel system flushed & serviced to clean out any crud that you may have sucked into the fuel system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty strange that it's running that poorly and not throwing any DTC's and has no stored DTC's.

You did have it scanned with an OBD-II Scanner, correct?

I would also still check your battery as well.

Have you ever had your Fuel system flushed & serviced?
No, but the fact that we tested the fuel pressure and it's going crazy tells us it's either air or full or something to do with those.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
No, but the fact that we tested the fuel pressure and it's going crazy tells us it's either air or full or something to do with those.
I understand your logic - but that's not the best way to troubleshoot;

Anytime your Commander has a problem, 1st thing you do should always be to have your computer scanned for any active or stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

That's trouble-shooting 101.

There could be 6 different things giving you air/fuel pressure problems.

Those Diagnostic trouble codes will give you a pretty good indication of where to look for a problem.

You can go to AutoZone or Discount Auto parts - they would probably scan it for free, then at least you'll have some useful information to work off of.

If your brother owns, or works in an auto-shop, they should have an OBD-II scanner on hand, I would think.

As I stated previously, I'd recommend getting your fuel system flushed & serviced - which should be done regularly, at 25,000 mile intervals If I remember correctly.

But, If you don't want to try & pull your DTC's, which is pretty simple (and free) than I don't think I can help you any further.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I understand your logic - but that's not the best way to troubleshoot;

Anytime your Commander has a problem, 1st thing you do should always be to have your computer scanned for any active or stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes.

That's trouble-shooting 101.

Those Diagnostic trouble codes will give you a pretty good indication of where to look for a problem.

You can go to AutoZone or Discount Auto parts - they would probably scan it for free, then at least you'll have some useful information to work off of.

If your brother owns, or works in a auto-shop, they should have an OBD-II scanner on hand I would think.

As I stated previously, I'd recommend getting your fuel system flushed & serviced.

But, If you don't want to try & pull your DTC's, which is pretty simple (and free) than I don't think I can help you any further.
Yes its been done it's showing no new or stored codes, I'm sorry for being unclear earlier, that's why we are lost.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Yes its been done it's showing no new or stored codes, I'm sorry for being unclear earlier, that's why we are lost.
By your own admission, you said you've run your gas tank down very low, more than once - and that you noticed your fuel & the fuel filter was dirty.

Have you EVER had your fuel system flushed & serviced professionally, at the dealership since you've owned your Commander?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By your own admission, you said you've run your gas tank down very low, more than once - and that you noticed your fuel & the fuel filter was dirty.

Have you EVER had your fuel system flushed & serviced professionally, at the dealership since you've owned your Commander?
Bo but they did clean my gas tank yesterday

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Bo but they did clean my gas tank yesterday
@arburt2015 ;

I'm assuming bo, means no, LOL.

It's good that they cleaned your tank - but that's the equivalent of closing the barn door, after all the animals have run out.

My advice to you is, get your Fuel system flushed & professionally serviced at a reputable Jeep/FCA dealership as soon as possible, to try & prevent any further damage to your fuel system & your engine.

That's my advice; What you do with it is completely up to you.

There are some things you just can't afford to take chances with; Your fuel system & your engine, fall into this category.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts