Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my "miles to go" is, I feel, way off. I drove today with it reading "0 miles" for about 6 miles at 55 mph.

I stopped to fill up and it only took 18.1 gallons. The manual states the size is 20.6 gallons approx.

So I figure I could really go 40 to 50 more miles.

Is yours' this far off or is it just a safety factor Jeep built in.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There is no way the fuel pump could get every last drop out of the tank.
And 2 gallons of fuel across the bottom of the tank is likely less than 1" deep.
A strong possibility of premature fuel pump failure presents itself if allowed to run this low with any frequency.
The pump is cooled by the fuel and low fuel means hot pump.
Also, the potential of cavitation is high and could cause the pump to overspeed and damage the plastic vanes.
So, I would consider that 0 miles to go a reasonable warning with only 2 gals. remaining.

....Rob

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yep mine is that way too. When the low fuel warning light comes on apparently I can drive 1 KM more. I have easily in the past done another 15 KM. Would not recommened doing that to often as i am sure it could cause some problems to the fuel pump .... Im thinking.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robby comes though again!!!

I wouldn't do this with and regularity but it is nice to know that there is about 2 gallons left.

I've only ran it that low once before and in the words of my 4 yr old "I was freakin' out".
I couldn't find a gas station quick enough.

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
All cars have a reserve capacity in the fuel tank to protect against running out of fuel. I believe most cars have about 3 gallons of reserve fuel when the fuel gauge reaches the empty mark. It's interesting that "miles to go" readings wouldn't compensate for the reserve fuel though, but I guess it makes sense considering how many people would run out of gas by pushing the (real) limit.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
gas will be under 2.99 by next week, here....not that it is relevant on this thread......
but i have done the same thing......let the fuel get down too low. While i heard what they are saying
about letting fuel get too low and premature pump failure, I have often wondered how far I could go at
0 miles left....if i had too.....

·
Registered
576 Posts
I love the fact that the warning light/buzzer comes on with only '7 miles to go' in my XK - which in my book doesn't seem like much of a warning.

However, with there being 2 gallons of fuel left when the warning light/buzzer comes on, I know I can go more than the allotted '7 miles', before I run out of gas - not that I would want to!

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i don't think i've ever run mine below 1/4 of a tank. i never let any of my cars go that low. being we have a lot of cold weather i keep the tank full most of the time. if you get stranded somewhere at least i can keep the motor running to stay warm

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I was able to drive 33 miles on "Zero" when I was on the freeway looking for a place with gas once.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drive past 2 stations on the way home. But I like to fill up in my homwtown, pop. 1700, as some of the money comes back to the community.

However driving that short distance with the big old "0 miles to go" was not fun.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
that extra 2 gallons saved my butt once. I couldn't find a gas station for a long time on a road trip.

·
Registered
269 Posts
After 0 miles I was able to drive 30 more miles until I found a gas station

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I usually try to refuel at about 1/4 tank. Once it drops below that, it drops quick.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I usually try to refuel at about 1/4 tank. Once it drops below that, it drops quick.
Thats how I usually do it too. It does go fast below a 1/4 tank!

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
i freak out and worry to much if its below 1/4 tank. the last long trip we took i got down to 1/8 of a tank. i was freaking out. i didn't think we would make it to the next town. we had a headwind and were going 75mph.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My warning light comes on right after 30 miles to go, then read, low fuel, my tank is 21.1 gal, but when I fill up, it only takes 18-19 to fill up my tank.

·
Registered
21 Posts
fuel capacity?

riddle me this,,, so my build sheet shows that there should be 20.5 gallons of fuel in my tank when I run low. I ran untill the light came on and it took 17 + gallons to fill. So am I to take that as the tank has been replaced? not likely, but there it is,,,

thanks

jm

1 - 20 of 30 Posts