Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who have upgraded to the factory fuel tank skid plate with the transfercase skid plate holes and did the install yourself :spineyes:.
How long did it take you to do the install? Anything to watchout for?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
It took me as long as it takes to drive to the dealer.

You need to make sure your tank is EMPTY, a full tank will be very heavy and hard to put back in place.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took me as long as it takes to drive to the dealer.

You need to make sure your tank is EMPTY, a full tank will be very heavy and hard to put back in place.
I added a little more clarification in bold letters for you all, a49erFan....:rofl:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about doing this Friday, (along with my wiring harness change) but it 's calling for rain. If I do get to it, I'll post my time just working on the skid plate of my install.

·
Registered
887 Posts
It took my brother and I about 2 hours to do the swap in my driveway. The week before I sprayed some PB Blaster on the existing bolts and broke them free the night before the swap. NOTE: the passenger side bolts on the skid are above the drive shaft. They are difficult to get to. Also to get the actual poly gas tank out of the skid I cut wood dowels to fit in the holes in the factory skid and then when I lowered the tank the dowels held the poly tank up and the metal skid fell to the ground. Does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Took about an hour to do. Make sure you release the gas pressure from the fuel rail under the hood.

·
Registered
887 Posts
FYI - I did not have to remove any lines to the tank. The instructions may tell you to but on my tank there was enough slack to drop the tank into the new skid.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, This weekend I won't be getting to my skidplate. My 99 F150 blew a sparkplug out and stripped the threads! Goggleing this, I find out this is pretty common in the early Triton motors......

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Its really easy. Just make sure you have an extra set of hands with you and a floor jack!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Took about an hour to do. Make sure you release the gas pressure from the fuel rail under the hood.
Can you explain the way to release gas pressure?

If the weather is good I may finally get it done this weekend.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Please, oh, please, any of you who do this, post pics and tips. I downloaded the instructions yesterday and it looks a little involved. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
This is a magic forum! Thanks a49erFan.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts