Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I got a 2006 commander 3.7 and my wife went to fill the tank and said she put in around 10gals and the pump stopped. I know it should take more because gauge read below 1/4tank when I last saw. So on lunch went to investigate myself and went to different pump and did the same thing. The guage only reads slightly below 3/4 tank and won't will the rest of the way.
This just started the other day. Is it the filler neck or evap canister or what?? I don't want to dump money into it so any input is appreciated

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Guys I got a 2006 commander 3.7 and my wife went to fill the tank and said she put in around 10gals and the pump stopped. I know it should take more because gauge read below 1/4tank when I last saw. So on lunch went to investigate myself and went to different pump and did the same thing. The guage only reads slightly below 3/4 tank and won't will the rest of the way.
This just started the other day. Is it the filler neck or evap canister or what?? I don't want to dump money into it so any input is appreciated

Any chance that your gas gauge is off and needs to be calibrated or replaced?

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Doubt the tank or filler neck can be the problem, bet the fuel gauge sending unit is bad. Had one go bad about like yours. on a Grand Cherokee and had the dealer replace it. They must remove the tank as the sending unit is inside of it. Take in with as little gas in it as possible. Did that with mine but then after they serviced it I went and filled it up to make sure it was working. Parked in garage under my house - next morning when we woke up there was very strong smell of gas and a puddle of gas under the car. Got everyone out of the house, backed the car out, opened all the windows and turned off the gas water heater. Don't know why the house didn't explode. Took back to dealer with some choice words. They pulled the tank full of gas - boy did they have a mess, asked why they don't pressure test the tank after the repair and he just shrugged. Sending unit gasket was on wrong.

Reactions: Big Blue

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Doubt the tank or filler neck can be the problem, bet the fuel gauge sending unit is bad. Had one go bad about like yours. on a Grand Cherokee and had the dealer replace it. They must remove the tank as the sending unit is inside of it. Take in with as little gas in it as possible. Did that with mine but then after they serviced it I went and filled it up to make sure it was working. Parked in garage under my house - next morning when we woke up there was very strong smell of gas and a puddle of gas under the car. Got everyone out of the house, backed the car out, opened all the windows and turned off the gas water heater. Don't know why the house didn't explode. Took back to dealer with some choice words. They pulled the tank full of gas - boy did they have a mess, asked why they don't pressure test the tank after the repair and he just shrugged. Sending unit gasket was on wrong.
That's not a good situation at all rblapham.

You were very fortunate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It sounds like your evaporator canister is plugged or the evaporator purge valve may be faulty. When this happens the tank vent system will not function and it will make it very difficult to get fuel to flow into the tank to completely fill it.

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts

It should still fill but SLOWLY if it's the purge valve etc... probably the purge valve/ overflow tank and if u have patience is non emergent but tank will have to be filled slowly if u don't want to put $ into it. Doesn't sound like gauge or sending unit imo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies! I'm sure it IS NOT the fuel gauge. It's always read full when I filled up before. My thoughts were it was either the purge valve or the canister. I don't have any codes as of now. Going to fill up tomorrow so I guess I'll see if it works or not. If not I'll see about going ahead and getting both replaced since I'm sure it's pretty easy to do it myself.
Thanks again

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I'm sure it IS NOT the fuel gauge. It's always read full when I filled up before. My thoughts were it was either the purge valve or the canister. I don't have any codes as of now. Going to fill up tomorrow so I guess I'll see if it works or not. If not I'll see about going ahead and getting both replaced since I'm sure it's pretty easy to do it myself.
Thanks again

Let us know how it goes Thompson.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I tried to fill up again and it won't fill any further than a bit above half tank so going to try replacing the charcoal canister first

·
Administrator
6,288 Posts
What you have to do to get it to work??
@Abslagle; Welcome to the forum;

The fuel gauge sending unit is a good place to start.

Please read the New Member Required Reading below & complete your user profile as directed;

You're also required to post a new member introduction to the forum in the New Member section.

Thanks & welcome aboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts